F1 Bakflip getting leaky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had my F1 bak flip for about 3 years and it's never been totally water tight and only had a small leak is the car wash or very heavy rain but by in large was fairly dry. But over the last year it seems as though I have a few more leaks then I should and they are occurring in light rain now along the hinges.

It seems as though they are coming from the hinged areas, I have re clamped the sides. It has not had a very hard life in terms of off road or misuse. It just seems to be getting worse as it ages.

Has anyone else seen this and what if anything has anyone done to remedy short of buying a new one. Thanks for any input.

mcasseba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, mine is always bone dry if when I spray a garden hose directly on it. Might be the install.....

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just an idea, do you have rear bed stabilizers? The old girls thighs might be sagging a little creating a gap where there wasn't one when she was younger.....

OP
OP
WRCRaptor

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Defiantly not the install, I thnk the water is getting into the hinges at the edge and running to the center as if the rubber insert has shrunk.

I thought about the bed spreading but the width has remained consistent over the last 3 years along the length of the bed.

Funny thing is it leaks more sitting still the on the road. I have 2 drips at the first fold at the back about 12 inches apart centered side to side. And one near the front left corner between the 3rd fold and the solid section.

OP
OP
WRCRaptor

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I looked at this again and what I think is happening is the side rail has a raised lip that runs the length of it and over time it is compressed more at each fold and I think it allows water to seep in from the side rail water channel. It then runs down the fold. The water is coming from the sides not from the drip spot near the center. At this point I am not sure how to fix it but I will come up with something, it's never been totally dry but is definitely getting wetter. I still like this style cover but may look into other options.

OP
OP
WRCRaptor

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After another round of rain the water is defiantly getting in on the side and running along the channel for the latch and release cable, so it is not the hinge or rubber hinge seal. I looked at my records and this F1 is almost 4 years old so no warranty I am going to try some RTV along the fixed channel next.