Door squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBXRAPTOR

Reaction score
My passenger door has a nasty little squeak that detracts from my on road experience- nasty little annoyitron that just keeps going and going. I read a post on a generic F150 site that advocated putting golf shaft grip tape on the door latches and I did this with 2 weeks squeak free success but the annoyitron has returned - anyone having this problem or a long term solution? Now I'm starting to think it is the door panel itself- when driving I can lean over and grab the passenger door handle, holding the door slightly tighter to make it stop...any ideas for trouble shooting?

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This may sound stupid...but didn't/don't doors have adjustments to make them tighter when closed?

A thought, though I have not looked at the doors, is to focus on the contact points of the door to the chassis (stopper if you will) and not the latch itself. Maybe additional outward pressure at these contact points will apply more force to the latch mechanism ridding you of the annoying squeak.

Then again, I don't know everything and may just be making crap up...at least the theory works.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
my passenger seat back squeaks when no one is sitting it it(obviously). i thought it was my door at first...but if your pass. seat is leaning back a little bit the hinges between the seat back and bottom squeak like crazy so i always put the seat back all the way straight up when no one is with me...hope this helps.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have the squeaky empty passenger seat syndrome. Seems to only happen when the truck is cold/cool. Once it heads up in the sun it goes away. I guess the body shop will have to take a look at it some time.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I too have the squeaky empty passenger seat syndrome. Seems to only happen when the truck is cold/cool. Once it heads up in the sun it goes away. I guess the body shop will have to take a look at it some time.

Might be an Andy thing.

- Andy :D

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Look for Big J to chime in here soon, he had both of these problems and found a fix for both of them.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mobil 1 Grease on the latch points?

had same problem in a Volvo C70 (door making noise when closed) and this solved the problem permanently.

OP
OP
OBXRAPTOR

OBXRAPTOR

Reaction score
thanks- will give it a try.

Follow-up: executed the BigJ fix and it is working like a charm thus far- thanks to all

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tape solved my issue with the door. Here's my writeup: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?988-The-1%A2-and-3-Door-Rattle-Fixes

xjr's suggestion is a good one and it will most likely solve the squeak issue, but the tape has the advantage of filling space. My door not only squeaked, but it clunked too; there's quite a bit of slop between the latchpoints. The tape removes that slop.

The seat issue I had was more a ticking, not a squeak. Here's my writeup on that: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?38-Passenger-seat-rattle...-tick-tick-tick