DIY - Roof Rack build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billj214

Reaction score
I am sharing my DIY roof rack build as part of a way to contribute to all of you who have shared your projects which inspired me over the years of building things.

OK so the roof rack is for the purpose of:
#1 Because it looks very cool (lets not kid ourselves)
#2 For adding cool looking lights
#3 Quick access location for recovery gear
#4 A place to tie off my hammock when camping!

Supplies:
1" steel tubing 40'
1/2" square tubing 20'
4'x8' corrugate steel
2 pin Deutsche connector (Rigid LED bar)
4 pin Deutsche connector (vehicle connection 2 extra for adding rear lights later).
14g red and black wire
1/4' grommets
2 cans of primer paint
2 cans of truck bed coating paint
Total cost around $140-$150

Frame design up close:
Platform is on top, this is due to the trucks curved roof and allows me to keep the rack as low profile as possible. Middle supports 45 degree angle flat steel, this gives it a unique design and makes the build much easier since making 1' tub spacers takes forever.
2017-02-06%2009.39.37.jpg

Maxtrax mounts:
Since I don't have a winch and these recovery tracks are expensive I wanted to mount them with locking mounts. I will likely only add the studs when I plan a trip, easy to bolt on from underneath. Also the gap on side of corrugated steel was intentional, it allows me to reach mount screws and when using straps on tubing the corrugated steel is not in the way.
d8LUSphTWgBUgkuB9

Light bar mount:
Nothing fancy but this 1" flat steel keeps the front two bars rigid while adding a mount location.
2KuByp8DqWUabgzc8

Wiring:
Self explanatory
5LipcRFgEDRo4o6g9

Test fit and ready for paint:
WfSUKdkqzcjYygDP6

Primer and paint with truck bed liner paint, very durable and easily touched up in the future compared to powder coating that chips easily over time.

Installed:
N9kC1S6753dNdcm9A

8qXbrbciPGsG9Br8A

j4imiLyuuqzg7ReLA

BC2UJxmv3UdudFqw5

Edit: Trying to update photo links, temp link to album here.

Last edited:

McGrath4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very clean looking. How'd you run the wire to the 40"?

Some thoughts before you paint. Add a tab piece of steel for a radio antenna mount. Look at adding tabs for rear mounted lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
billj214

billj214

Reaction score
Very clean looking. How'd you run the wire to the 40"?

Some thoughts before you paint. Add a tab piece of steel for a radio antenna mount. Look at adding tabs for rear mounted lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wires ran inside tube using grommet see in picture, the connections are made by using Deutsche 2 pin at lightbar and 4 pin Deutsche at rear. Power from truck is via "Bluesea" cable clamshell LINK painted black, all wires including HAM antenna run into this for a water tight seal.

Thanks for tip on adding antenna, I actually have a magnet mount one I was going to use but I might start looking at a better one I can secure better.

Roof rack is mounted on Yakima tracks - LINK