Cutting into rear bumper! Is it tough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I drill the first hole just curious if anyone and drilled, cut or otherwise created holes in the bumpers. The chromed bumpers on my old '95 Ranger were tough/hard. I'm installing some Rigid flush-mount LED floods and connecting them to the back up lights with a Starkey harness. My plan was to drill and use a cut-off wheel but I have a jigsaw, sawz-all and plasma cutter also. Considering starting with a hole saw and then squaring it out. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I drill the first hole just curios if anyone and drilled, cut or otherwise created holes in the bumpers. The chromed bumpers on my old '95 Ranger were tough/hard. I'm installing some Rigid flush-mount LED floods and connecting them to the back up lights with a Starkey harness. My plan was to drill and use a cut-off wheel but I have a jigsaw, sawz-all and plasma cutter also. Considering starting with a hole saw and then squaring it out. Any input is appreciated.

Pretty easy to do.......Bumper is pretty thin....I used a metal cutting blade on a 4" hand grinder.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same rigids, they come with a paper cut out to help you. Don't use a hole saw, drill in all four corners and use a cut off wheel or similar. As mentioned, TAKE YOUR TIME!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
an air/body saw is the best thing to use. i use blades with 24 teeth per inch. think of it as a sawzall but smaller and much easier to control.