Chase rack on Leer tonneau cover? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Leer tonneau cover. This is how the official and the only Ford dealership here in my country (in Middle East) sells Raptors. I did not choose it.

I really like the look of the Raptor with chase rack, especially the light bar near the back of the roof. I do not want the chase rack with the spare tire setup. I want a chase rack similar to the second picture.

I am not planning to remove the Leer tonneau cover because: (1) it’s a waste of money; (2) the weather is really dusty in my area and the truck bed can get really dirty here within few hours after washing the truck.

I have thought about all possible solutions, but I have not found one.

I know it’s unrealistic, but I want to ask you guys: is there a solution OR should I forget the chase rack?

I apologize for the owners of the pictures; I have taken them from Google image search.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 859

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WSI (forum Vendor) makes the rack. I have one myself and it's awesome! Now for the bad news... It probably won't work with that. For starters, it looks like that cover covers the bed rails (which is what the rack mounts to.) You could mount the rack to the cover, but it would hit your cab very quickly when trying to open the cover.

I have a Bak fibermax folding hard cover myself and while it fits I can only fold the first two panels before it hits the rack. The problem is that in order for the rack to follow the lines of the truck it angles in from the bed rails. Basic geometry tells us that you can't fit a rectangle through a trapezoid and there you have it.

Your best bet would be too ditch the clamshell for a soft roll up cover. That would likely be able to clear the rack. If you're dead set on having a hard cover, checkout the Bak Roll-X. It's a rollable hard cover that might clear the rack. I was thinking about this myself... Just need someone to do some measuring for me so I'll know if it clears or not. The last option would be a Retrax retractable bed cover. Much like the roll-x, but it it rolls from the back and down into a container at the front of the bed. (Think of a roll up garage door) You lose a little bed space, but it is pretty slick and would easily clear the rack. Can even get a powered version that opens and closes at the push of a button. A little spendy though.

Anyway, hope that helps. The WSI racks are awesome. They really set off the truck!

OP
OP
Fellow

Fellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks jackrook for your inputs. You gave me some hope.

Harblar, I highly appreciate your inputs too. That was a nice write-up.

I am looking for more suggestions from the forum members.

Again, I do not want to remove the Leer tonneau cover on my truck bed neither want to replace it with other tonneau cover product.

Sy0296

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any metal fabricators in your country? this will be something that needs to be custom made but shouldn't be a difficult project. if the your purpose is just of cosmetics and a place to mount a light car, it's pretty much just bending and welding steel or aluminum tubing and finding a point to mount to

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way I see you being able to keep the clamshell AND be able to have a light rack would be to mount the rack directly to the bed cover. As I said before, however, this would make it impossible to open your bed cover. To solve this, I would hinge the rear of the rack. That way when you want to open the clamshell you would simply fold the rack backwards and then lift the shell. This should provide ample clearance from the cab and be easy enough for any fab shop to do. The only three important issues that would need to be addressed are:
1.) securing the rack when not folded back. It has to be locked solid so it doesn't break lose while off-roading. If it happened to flop back while at highway speeds it could do a number to your cover and any lights you have on the rack, which brings me to number two...

2.) Make sure there is some kind of padding on the rack where it will contact the cover in the folded position. You don't want it scratching or rubbing the cover or the rack.

3.) Properly sealing all mounting/wire holes in the cover from the elements. A little bit of silicone should do the trick. As for the power wire for the lights, it'll need to be run through the cover near the hinge point of the rack to prevent pulling on the wire when folding the rack.

That's the only way I see you being able to use both.

Badgerscab6.2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way I see you being able to keep the clamshell AND be able to have a light rack would be to mount the rack directly to the bed cover. As I said before, however, this would make it impossible to open your bed cover. To solve this, I would hinge the rear of the rack. That way when you want to open the clamshell you would simply fold the rack backwards and then lift the shell. This should provide ample clearance from the cab and be easy enough for any fab shop to do. The only three important issues that would need to be addressed are:
1.) securing the rack when not folded back. It has to be locked solid so it doesn't break lose while off-roading. If it happened to flop back while at highway speeds it could do a number to your cover and any lights you have on the rack, which brings me to number two...

2.) Make sure there is some kind of padding on the rack where it will contact the cover in the folded position. You don't want it scratching or rubbing the cover or the rack.

3.) Properly sealing all mounting/wire holes in the cover from the elements. A little bit of silicone should do the trick. As for the power wire for the lights, it'll need to be run through the cover near the hinge point of the rack to prevent pulling on the wire when folding the rack.

That's the only way I see you being able to use both.

All great points. May want to think about some kind of clamp to hold the rack on the cover when it folds back as well. So when the cover opens, the rack doesnt slam back onto the cab. Also look into reinforcing the mounting points of the cover itself. It shouldn't be that much more weight with the rack, but it is more "top heavy" weight added. Especially if you are off-roading.. Good luck with this. Not my particular cup of tea, but Im interested to see what final outcome is :happy160:
-Jeremy

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abuhyda8.jpgtu5ape5y.jpg

Here's how my cb is mounted. I have a hard cover. And if your looking for just the rack it would stick out and have to have the mounts look like this. Still waterproof.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want to keep your bed covered, you can always sell the cover you have and get a BakFlip or something like it and then modify the areas where the light rack mounts to the bed rails. You wont be able to fold the cover all the way tot he front, but you can manage loading cargo. Other than that, your probably gonna have to settle for either, or. Both will be an issue. Hate to modify and cut a 900.00 bed cover.

On the other hand, the light racks mounted to the bed rails are easily removable and so is the tonneau cover. Use the cover for everyday, and when you go play, swap the mods. Rig up your electrical for plug and play. This will take you roughly 30 min to swap and be ready to roll.