Can you weld on a Raptor frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've asked around quite a bit and have yet to get a definitive answer. I've heard it is too thin to weld but this doesn't hold water because you can weld much thinner sheet metal. I've also heard it is come crazy alloy that you can't weld - OK maybe, but now explain how Foutz was able to weld the crap out of this FX4? I'm really looking for some hard facts here why so many people keep telling me this but I keep seeing so many frame being welded on! WTF?!

ImageHandler.ashx

OP
OP
gotSVT

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about *this* close to pulling the trigger on a new TIG.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've asked around quite a bit and have yet to get a definitive answer. I've heard it is too thin to weld but this doesn't hold water because you can weld much thinner sheet metal. I've also heard it is come crazy alloy that you can't weld - OK maybe, but now explain how Foutz was able to weld the crap out of this FX4? I'm really looking for some hard facts here why so many people keep telling me this but I keep seeing so many frame being welded on! WTF?!

ImageHandler.ashx

They might be saying that because the frame is E-Coated... You just have to grind off the coating to weld it... and..YOU MUST REMOVE THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or you can damage the PCM and you dont want that...

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can weld the frame. Look at how the 3 sections of it go together. But yes the NEG for sure must be taken off to weld on it! It has a good chance of running through some very sensitive computer parts and circuit boards otherwise. The coating will need to be removed before welding to get a good ground and no BS in the weld.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a high-strength low(carbon) alloy; so the frame metal can be welded. But even the robotic factory welds should be regarded as "hot glue". They cannot approach the strength of the frame metal. Welds also change the adjacent metal structure.

Boxing, even over the middle/rear connections of the modular frame, would be like putting a cast on a broken leg.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford makes a lot of noise about the fact that the frame is hydroformed and made out of special steel. Before you pull the trigger you need to find out the composition of the steel in the frame and you need to find out if it's heat treated. If it's heat treated, you can't weld on it without defeating the heat treatment and making it weaker. If it's not heat treated, you need to talk to a professional welder (try your local welding shop) to find out HOW to weld that steel properly.

IoN6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But even the robotic factory welds should be regarded as "hot glue". They cannot approach the strength of the frame metal. Welds also change the adjacent metal structure.

That is 110% incorrect. Welds are stronger than the base metal they they are joining. If you look at just about any failure picture you will see that the weld held while a portion of the base structure has torn away.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hot glue

Welds are stronger than the base metal they they are joining. If you look at just about any failure picture you will see that the weld held while a portion of the base structure has torn away.

Really? Then a main frame rail constructed from ten welded segments is stronger than a single piece frame rail, right?

The pictures you saw demonstrate how the extreme heat of welding weakens the microstructure of the steel; not that the weld is stronger than the steel.