The bolts RPG should use to mount their skid plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the bolts that hold the skid plate to my raceline front bumper and I think they look much better than the hex bolts that RPG includes when you buy their bumper. The ones I installed are stainless steel pan head that takes an allen wrench. I opted for the stainless to match the unfinished aluminum skid but they are also available in a black carbon finish and gold plated anodized. The first pic is the bolts that came with the bumper, the 2nd pic is the pan head bolts that I installed.

Attachments

• P1290648.jpg
    P1290648.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 165
  • P1290650.jpg
    P1290650.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 186

Nitrous Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the bolts that hold the skid plate to my raceline front bumper and I think they look much better than the hex bolts that RPG includes when you buy their bumper. The ones I installed are stainless steel pan head that takes an allen wrench. I opted for the stainless to match the unfinished aluminum skid but they are also available in a black carbon finish and gold plated anodized. The first pic is the bolts that came with the bumper, the 2nd pic is the pan head bolts that I installed.

I have never been a fan of allen bolts, too easy to strip imo. Plus I can't tell much difference from the pics as far as looks go.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After a trip to TRR and once your skid plate is properly "broken-in", I dont think your gonna care to much about how your bolts look....

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of allen bolts, too easy to strip imo. Plus I can't tell much difference from the pics as far as looks go.

Another potential issue with the bolts is the likelihood of the heads filling up with debris and being difficult-to-impossible to clean out and access them with a hex key to remove the bolts.

Personally I'd stick with the bolts that RPG sent you.

By the way, IMO, your subject line reads (to me) like a complaint about RPG not using the correct bolts.

Did you talk to them about this before you posted this?

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pan heads do look better, but scrap them up pretty good the fun is going to be removing them to replace, where as a hex head, you have a better chance removing them with a vise grip if needed.
Pan heads you will be cutting slots for a screw driver, and or cutting the head off and hoping there's enough threads to grab for removal.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed with the other comments: allen heads are a very bad idea there (or anywhere under the rig for that matter), if you plan to actually offroad and/or need that skid plate.

They look good, true, but they also kinda broadcast to anyone who actually uses their Raptor that you don't. Just sayin ;D

OP
OP
JimT

JimT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the other comments: allen heads are a very bad idea there (or anywhere under the rig for that matter), if you plan to actually offroad and/or need that skid plate.

They look good, true, but they also kinda broadcast to anyone who actually uses their Raptor that you don't. Just sayin ;D

lol well I will admit my Raptor sees more street miles than off road miles. and I do baby her quite a bit. So maybe for the hard core off roader the hex bolts would be better. but for me I will stay with the pan heads and keep my hex for when I do TRR.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Another potential issue with the bolts is the likelihood of the heads filling up with debris and being difficult-to-impossible to clean out and access them with a hex key to remove the bolts.

Personally I'd stick with the bolts that RPG sent you.

By the way, IMO, your subject line reads (to me) like a complaint about RPG not using the correct bolts.

Did you talk to them about this before you posted this?

MMD, I can see your point, I did not mean that RPG screwed up, on the contrary I know they know what they are doing. The build AWESOME products. I guess since I don't off road my truck as much as alot you you guys do I didn't think the allen head would be that big of a problem.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol well I will admit my Raptor sees more street miles than off road miles. and I do baby her quite a bit. So maybe for the hard core off roader the hex bolts would be better. but for me I will stay with the pan heads and keep my hex for when I do TRR.

It's all good!

d8r7hru6yj.gif

You might be taking the "Street Queen" thing to an extreme if you're going to change the skid plate bolts when you go off road.