Boatec Fender People

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that the perfectionist should not attempt this project. I respectfully disagree that everyone should have a body shop do it. This is one of the coolest and most satisfying projects I did on my truck. So much so that I have installed them on several other's trucks with outstanding results. It is, IMO, one of the coolest "weekend warrior" projects out there and would be happy to help anyone doing it with any advice I could give to make their install something they can be proud of themselves.

Honestly I have not seen much of a difference between owner installs and shop installs for fenders on this forum. Definitely a DIY project if you take your time to fit them. Then send em off for paint.

OP
OP
M

mwm5094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black is a good color for fiber glass considering that it will hide any imperfections. I've been debating on wether or not to go fiber glass then wrap my entire truck a black and avoid painting the fenders what so ever.

The same thought crossed my mind!

Agreed, Especially if you come from a Euro or Japanese tuner crowd the quality difference is huge in glass parts. You have to accept most of these companies build for race trucks that get used once or twice and tossed.

Exactly my background in regards to cars. Every car and motorcycle I have built in the past have always been pretty much flawless due to my OCD / perfectionist mindset. My eyes are always drawn to flaws that I know are there. Even though other people probably won't ever notice it (not that it really matters to me if they see it or not) a little part of me will always be annoyed its not perfect. Im sure I will get over it, after all these fenders are going on the Raptor that the wife drives everyday so I don't really see it all that much. :hahano: Also, those pictures had very little effort getting them to fit. I just saw how much the headlight area was off when the rest of the lines were relatively close. Figured I would drop a line to see if anyone else had the same issue.

I agree that the perfectionist should not attempt this project. I respectfully disagree that everyone should have a body shop do it. This is one of the coolest and most satisfying projects I did on my truck. So much so that I have installed them on several other's trucks with outstanding results. It is, IMO, one of the coolest "weekend warrior" projects out there and would be happy to help anyone doing it with any advice I could give to make their install something they can be proud of themselves.

Agreed! Its not a super hard job by any means. Just some patience and a bunch of taking the fender on and off. I finally got them pretty damn close to factory. there is only one spot (middle of the fender where it meets the hood) that sits a tad bit high. Nobody would ever notice.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
im not saying its not something you cant do guys. its literally cake to toss them on. but to get the proper bondo and finish work they need to get the best possible fit at every seam.
i would have a shop do it, IF you are concerned with fitment as of right now.

if you dont care that much you wouldnt have made the thread. i was just saying if you want the best outcome, which it sounds like you do. you will have someone with years of experience fit and finish over someone who does mods on the weekend.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The same thought crossed my mind!

Exactly my background in regards to cars. Every car and motorcycle I have built in the past have always been pretty much flawless due to my OCD / perfectionist mindset. My eyes are always drawn to flaws that I know are there. Even though other people probably won't ever notice it (not that it really matters to me if they see it or not) a little part of me will always be annoyed its not perfect. Im sure I will get over it, after all these fenders are going on the Raptor that the wife drives everyday so I don't really see it all that much. :hahano: Also, those pictures had very little effort getting them to fit. I just saw how much the headlight area was off when the rest of the lines were relatively close. Figured I would drop a line to see if anyone else had the same issue.

I'm right there with you, I obsess even though I'm the only one that notices. Nothing but compliments though no one will recognize.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

im not saying its not something you cant do guys. its literally cake to toss them on. but to get the proper bondo and finish work they need to get the best possible fit at every seam.

if you dont care that much you wouldnt have made the thread. i was just saying if you want the best outcome, which it sounds like you do. you will have someone with years of experience fit and finish over someone who does mods on the weekend.

Agreed

OP
OP
M

mwm5094

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No doubt, I know nothing aftermarket will fit like OEM. Its kinda funny too because you can see the visual differences in the headlight area between both fenders. Pass side comes straight down and fits perfect, drivers side had that gap. Filled that little imperfection with fiberglass, sanded, etc., etc., off to paint they go.

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Big Horn and thinking about adding OEM fender flares but all I seem to find are 2500 sets. Will 2500 flares look ok on a 1500 with chrome bumper??? Anyone have a picture with them on their 1500???

Mufaza2

Reaction score
What is everyone doing with the antenna? Do you drill a hole in the fender or just leave it clean? I kinda like the look of just clean fenders but I want a radio too. Any suggestions or thoughts?