Billet Hood Vent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'll need to use a thin screw driver to pull the middle cap up and pull it out or far enough up before trying to remove the plastic fastener.
There should be two spots on either side of the fastener that is made to get something in between there.
I had to use my CVS cheater glasses to see that. LOL

That hood insulation and the hood vent is a poor design,
every time it rains or I wash my truck the water channels right down to the top of my battery and my CAI.
I'm going to have to do something about that.

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COOL! JD, I had no idea such a tool existed, and I do business with Advance all the time. Thank you, sir!

When you remove the hood insulation, the push pins on the left and right side of the hood hinges, place the tool behind the insulation, these 2 are the only ones that have a retaining clip on them, so they stay with the insulation, the rest place tool between the insulation and clip and remove.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wiz indicated that the spray from his windshield sprayers was disrupted by all the flow from his highly modified hood vents, and theorized that that's why the ports in the hood are so small and as far to the outside from the windshield sprayers as possible.

Since I don't want to create one problem when I solve a non-problem, I decided on a minimalistic approach. I used a 45 degree drafting triangle to lay out a cut to the underhood blanket, and simply cut it in place with a pair of sharp scissors. Then I laid out the cut to the fiberglass, also with the drafting triangle. I cut the triangular extension to the hood port with a Dremel cutting wheel, and finished shaping and smoothing it with a Dremel sanding drum. I figure I've increased the air flow by maybe 50%, and probably without disrupting the spray from the windshield sprayer. Didn't have to remove the underhood blanket.

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiz indicated that the spray from his windshield sprayers was disrupted by all the flow from his highly modified hood vents, and theorized that that's why the ports in the hood are so small and as far to the outside from the windshield sprayers as possible.

Since I don't want to create one problem when I solve a non-problem, I decided on a minimalistic approach. I used a 45 degree drafting triangle to lay out a cut to the underhood blanket, and simply cut it in place with a pair of sharp scissors. Then I laid out the cut to the fiberglass, also with the drafting triangle. I cut the triangular extension to the hood port with a Dremel cutting wheel, and finished shaping and smoothing it with a Dremel sanding drum. I figure I've increased the air flow by maybe 50%, and probably without disrupting the spray from the windshield sprayer. Didn't have to remove the underhood blanket.

AWESOME, So nice working with this fiberglass/composite, I really dont see much with the sprayers as wiz did, I notice a difference, but I only went across from factory a little more, every thing is work good for me.
Ruger the tool is so worth it, it pulls all those type push pins, large and small, cars or trucks with that type in the door panels, also the rubber skurt in front of our radiator.

Last edited:

Aksubiedubie

Reaction score
Any updates on the billet vents? Was trying to find some for my twin turbo setup I'm almost done finished building.

I enlarged the hood holes by this much and saw almost no difference in sprayer pattern. It maybe caused the little droplets to combine due to increased turbulence, but it seemed negligible and basically was no different to stock.

Attachments

• hood vent model.jpg
    hood vent model.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170330_211213.jpg
    20170330_211213.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 55

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MTF is correct, the hood vents are there to get rid of the hood pressure, and extract the heat, while in motion, I'm one who made the factory holes bigger, and the MOD was created by WIZ1500, the only time you can tell is when your at speed, and use your wippers, you can see the differance with the washer fluid, from stock to opening them, I would think if they were ment to take in air, the louvers would be facing forward, but its awesome to have that machining skill.[/QUOTE

As @J DAMAGE noted by dredging up a post from 2014, I too, opened up the holes in the hood under the vents. As the inside edges of the holes are close to the windshield sprayers, I made a triangular addition to the opening rather than a rectangular one. There has been no effect on the windshield wiper spray pattern.

Last edited: