Big Blue's Mobile Winch Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I decided after 4 years it was finally time to get a Winch. But I didn't want to lose my Rigid, modify my ADD bumper or gain the extra nose weight. Additionally, from being a previous winch owner and living a Chicagoland, I know an exposed Winch can take a beating from the elements and offroading, so I decided a Mobile Winch was the answer.

However, that created it's own set of issues, namely how to secure it safety but still make it accessible. I figured, when I am in a situation where I need the Winch, the last thing I want to have to do is spend 30 minutes unstrapping it from the bed and running the wire to the battery before I even begin the recovery process.

After lots of thought and work, this is what I came up with to solve those two issues.

A Bed Receiver Plate for storage and Quick Connect Winch Extension wire for power.

Parts List:

Winch
Mobile Winch Rack
Winch Extension Long Cable
Winch Extension Short Cable
1/4 piece of Steel Plate
Raw Receiver
Bolts/Nuts/Washers

As far a Winches go, there are hundreds to choose from. After extensive homework, I decided on the Smittybilt X20 12k pound Winch with Synthetic Line. If you are getting a mobile Winch, every pound counts, so do yourself a favor and spend the extra $$ to get a Synthetic line, they typically save 25-30lbs of Weight!.

So now that I decided on the Winch I had to figure out a way to keep it "offroad secured" while also (this was my goal) having a 1 minute removal and connection time.

So I got a 1/4" X 10" X 4" piece of Steel stock and had my buddy Weld it to the plate. Drilled 4 holes and mounted to the bed floor. Now the Winch could simply drop on the Receiver for Easy, Solid and Super fast storage.

I then bought a Warn 24' Winch Extension Kit and their small End Wire with Cap. The 24' Kit comes with a bunch of giant Zip ties, a switch, a relay and some other stuff and its a very complete kit. I ran this from the Battery down the passenger side frame, crossed over to the Driver side after the fuel tank and connected it to the bottom of my rear receiver bracket. The Wire has a weather proof snap cap on it and I covered the attached mounted end with electrical tape to also keep it clean.

I used the small Warn Cord in replace of the Smittybilt wire on the Winch and now after I insert into the rear bumper receiver I just plug the two together and it's ready to go.

I wanted to thank Roger at RSI Works for the great deal on the Winch and also my buddy @t_j for the superb Weld on the plate.

I'm very happy with the final results of this project..now off to get stuck so I can give it a try.

Regards.

Here are pics of the Warn Cables.
image.jpg1_zps2muetbq3.jpg
image.jpg2_zpsyvrmjnle.jpg

Here is the Winch I got: Contact Roger at RSI for aggressive pricing and great service.
image.jpg2_zpss46wymei.jpg

Here is the Mobile Winch Rack I went with, again just like Winches, there are dozens of versions out there.
image.jpg3_zpsxrx5zrtg.jpg

Here is the raw Receiver and steel plate before welding and holes.
image.jpg1_zps5jxw8tya.jpg

Receiver Bracket welded, painted and installed. When the Winch is not in the truck, I can still use that floor space for an equipment bag.
image.jpg1_zpstfqpvg2a.jpg

Here is a pic of the Warn Extension cable under the bumper with the cap on it.
image.jpg7_zpshgvdcnq6.jpg

Winch mounted in Bed for storage and on Receiver for use. Total weight of the Winch with rack is 69 lbs.

image.jpg3_zpstic1xdam.jpg
image.jpg6_zpsoupqcyd0.jpg
image.jpg8_zps86dj6wst.jpg
image.jpg9_zps2cgsqmjp.jpg
image.jpg3_zpsgo6pjmnj.jpg
image.jpg1_zpsdeml7n7g.jpg

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The warn cables are expensive but they look like they are of good construction. Did you add in a fuse?

What rear bumper is that? Did it come with the lower recovery points or did you add them later?

What is the plan for the front receive mount?

Help out the family's that these heroes left behind fighting for YOUR Freedom.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=840845
Donate now!

Yukon Joe
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions
www.runraptorrun.com

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much do u suppose this setup weighs? I've contemplated this for awhile but after helping a buddy tote his at Snoball, to be realistic for my wants it needs to be comfortably light. Does anyone has weights of winches capable of moving our beasts? Idk maybe a vendor has that info...

P.S. Everythings looks badarse!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The warn cables are expensive but they look like they are of good construction. Did you add in a fuse?

What rear bumper is that? Did it come with the lower recovery points or did you add them later?

What is the plan for the front receive mount?

Help out the family's that these heroes left behind fighting for YOUR Freedom.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=840845
Donate now!

Yukon Joe
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

They are expensive, but not many alternatives unless you make them yourself, and based on the cost for 2 24' rolls of 2 ga copper wire and those Anderson Plugs, you wouldn't save a lot. They are of excellent quality.

I did add a Fuse to the positive line by the battery. The Rear bumper is the RPG Raceline bumper with the RPG Hitch Receiver option. I just added the RPG Hitch receiver after Snoball.

For the time being, I have 3 snatch blocks/tree savers, so theoretically, if I have enough line, I can perform front self extractions. Keith gave me an idea for another hitch project to actually mount the winch in front. I have to blueprint the plan for a bit.