BakFlip F1 vs. Extang Solid Fold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nogm4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, we have a truck on order and I need some advice. I've read countless comparisons, testimonials, and videos on tonneau covers and I need some help. I can not seem to be able to choose a cover. We park under large trees at work and the drain tubes give me pause on the BakFlip F1. The trees really produce some tremendous amounts of pollen, debris, and leaves when a T-storm hits us here in Fl. I can see those tubes getting clogged pronto and causing spicy language crossing my lips when that happens. Having to open the tailgate to open or close is just something that my wife will forget every time. I love her to death, but she is not a detail person and I can see problems. She breaks things. It seems that it may be easy to get into the BakFlip if we are on vacation and somebody wants to see what is in the bed, so I question the security aspect. The BakFlip F1 is very low profile that the Mrs. likes and there is full access to the bed. The Extang can close the tailgate without opening and has no drain tubes, which should make life easier for me. It is higher profile and less attractive to the Mrs. plus has the restriction of not being able to use the entire bed. Does it damage the cap on the bed rails? It is a tough choice. Both "seem" to have the same "weather-tight" reputation. Thanks, I know this topic has probably been asked every way to Sunday, but it is a tough choice. Any help is appreciated, Dave.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't really seen the extang, so many guys with Raptors have gone with the bakflip it was an easy decision for me. There must be something right about them if they're so highly recommended more than any other cover for these trucks. I put mine on the weekend I got my truck and love it. Very secure, you can close the tailgate without opening the cover, I've done it a few times not even thinking, and it just rolls the seal in a little sometimes, and you have to run your finger down to pop it back out, but it really doesn't hurt anything, and sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

As for the drain tubes, they're 3/4" hose, it's going to take some serious crap to clog them. And even if they do clog, all you need to do is pop them off and blow the hose through them. Piece of cake.

Jwolf

Reaction score
i am looking as well , there is a lot of talk about the bakflip , but the "hard folding tonneau cover' seems easier to take on and off , i i wonder if anyone has this one and what they have to say about it ?

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used to have the solid fold on my 05 150. It's a great cover but I think the back flip looks a million times better.

The extant will not damage the cap rails and it is really easy to take on and off. But you do have to carry it with you.

I have the extang folding soft cover on my raptor. Thinking about getting rid of it for the back flip.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Undercover ™ is the new standard in tonneau covers. Our Patented X-effect ™ design and advanced polymers give this tonneau cover unparalleled strength and durability at a fraction of the weight and less cost than fiberglass.
i almost bought one of these for my ranger. the website is faulked up as far as what will fit the raptor and what wont. i emailed the company and they replied that only the classic isnt available for the raptor. i liked the se cuz it was cheaper, removable by one person like an extang i had on my previous ranger, but was watertight and lockable. seemed like a sound product

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a F1 on a couple of trucks, a Roll n Lock on one and have the Undercover Flex( their version of the bakflip). On my Raptor right now. I have never had the drain tubes get plugged. As long as the cover is closed only small particles that can be washed in by rain or water ever get to the drain tubes. If the cover was left open you could get large particles in the channels. I had the Roll N Lock that would get garbage in the canister due to stuff on the cover being sucked in with it as it rolled up and the drain tubes still never clogged up. The canister would fill with crap though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanfr68

Reaction score
I live in Seattle and never even installed the drain tubes for the F1. The only way I have ever seen water get in was when I hit the bed hard with a spray washer. Rain NEVER gets in under my cover and tree debris just stays on top. I never regreted the F1 buy.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express