BAK Roll-X Install and Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MC B2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some help, I want to carry my bicycles in my truck with the tonneau up, using fork mounts. I am down to the roll-x or the bakflip F1...

So here's a question... Is it possible with either to actually mount the fork mount directly to the bottom of either of these, so when they are in the open position they expose them for the bikes?

This is the type of fork mount I'm talking about: RockyMounts 9-mm Clutch Truck Bed Bike Carrier - Fork Mount - Bolt On RockyMounts Truck Bed Bike Racks RKY013

I would be tapping directly into the aluminum with high grade bolts. I'm curious as to the width of the slats on the rollx. I do like the look of it better.

Last edited:

BAKfactoryoutlet

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Because the mounts look relatively small, I believe the Roll-X will work best. The BakFlip panels all have a foam core with the aluminum skin on the panel bottoms. The foam core is not a good anchor for the screws that seem required for mounting. On the other hand the Roll-X slats are solid aluminum and would make a much more appropriate anchor for your screws. If you could find an adhesive strong enough to hold your mounts in place, then I imagine the BakFlip panel could be used. The Roll-X slats are 2" wide+or- depending on the model. Hope this helps you. More discussion needed? Please call us 800 653-7089 ext. 704 8:00AM-8:00PM EST 7 days a week

MC B2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the mounts look relatively small, I believe the Roll-X will work best. The BakFlip panels all have a foam core with the aluminum skin on the panel bottoms. The foam core is not a good anchor for the screws that seem required for mounting. On the other hand the Roll-X slats are solid aluminum and would make a much more appropriate anchor for your screws. If you could find an adhesive strong enough to hold your mounts in place, then I imagine the BakFlip panel could be used. The Roll-X slats are 2" wide+or- depending on the model. Hope this helps you. More discussion needed? Please call us 800 653-7089 ext. 704 8:00AM-8:00PM EST 7 days a week

I'll call you Monday Morrie, thank you for replying! - Brian

MOUSE3693

Reaction score
Great review. I am in the market for a cover, but stuck between choosing the Roll-X and the F1. Has anyone had any experence with both?
Looking for some pros and cons of each if anyone can help.

BAKfactoryoutlet

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great review. I am in the market for a cover, but stuck between choosing the Roll-X and the F1. Has anyone had any experence with both?
Looking for some pros and cons of each if anyone can help.
Hi Mouse: I believe the Fibermax has all of the most important features of the F-1. The VP warranty is 1 yr, the FiberMax is 2yr and the F-1 3 yr. the warrantee is the primary consideration for you between the F-1 and the FiberMax. I prefer the Roll-X over all of Bak's other covers. It opens and closes more easily, does not block the back window when open against the cab, and is even more water resistant than all of the BakFlips. The warranty is 2 years and the price is the same as the FiberMax. Please call me at 800 653-7089 ext. 704 for a more detailed discussion. Thanks, Morrie

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody else with a Roll-X get a small amount of water that trickles in by the bulkhead, or did I not install something right?

With most rains, I get a trickle of water that runs down both front corners by the bulkhead. I have a bedtred and I did install the piece of weatherstripping over the bulkhead.

I have thought maybe water is getting in between the weatherstripping and the metal edge; maybe I could seal it off with a small blob of silicone. But I wanted to see if anybody else has had this problem.

I have a kinetic recovery rope I was leaving in a bag next to the bulkhead, and it was staying damp, from the water seeping in the sides. I took it back out to keep it from molding until I can solve the problem.

Hawkeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Roll-X is waiting for delivery of my truck. Wish Ford (SVT) was as quick as BAK.!!

BAKfactoryoutlet

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not sure why you are getting a little water. If you purchased you cover from us, then please call and we'll take a look at some pics. Who did you purchase your cover from, because they should be helping you directly in communicating with the factory.

MC B2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered from Morrie this morning. RollX... smoking FRF deal!

Will need to work up a mod to make the bike stuff work, but seems doable.

Order from Morrie, or suffer the consequences.:chair: