BAK Roll-X Install and Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
UPDATE 9/8/13: "NEW" style BAK Roll-X installed: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/bak-roll-x-install-review-21509/index10.html#post522058

DSC00795_zps82076b49.jpg

DSC00796_zps859340f4.jpg

The install is pretty straight forward, maybe a 2 beer job at best so this need not be an extensive write-up. The Roll-X does come will excellent full color instructions; however I found some anomalies in the instructions which I can point out.

First for the review. The short version is the Roll-X is bad ass and I LOVE the how clean it looks. A truck as cool as the Raptor deserves a tonneau cover equally as cool and the Roll-X is it, in my opinion.

Tonneau covers have the potential to look clunky, out of place and take away from the overall look of a truck in the place of functionality. Not the Roll-X. It's as streamlined as you could possibly ask. It sits completely flush with the top of the bed rails and the rubber seals along the edges are sized perfectly to provide good water proofing (I'll get to that) without taking away from the clean look.

I ordered my Roll-X through Morrie at BAK Factory Outlet. Morrie has amassed plenty of positive feedback here on FRF and for good reason. Whether you need a tonneau cover or you're just having a bad day - give Morrie a call lol. The guy believes in his product, he's a huge fan of the Raptor and will offer FRF members his deepest discounts. Morrie advertises within MAP policy but has the ability to match almost any legitimate price on BAK products.

You can contact him at [email protected] or 800 653-7089 ext. 704.

Aside from the looks, I wanted to give it a week before really speaking to its functionality. The Roll-X has a series of aluminum rails that lock together when the cover is down, and then roll up within the side rails, or tracks. It took me a little tweaking to get the alignment of the side rails just right so that the cover would function properly and line up.

We have had 2 very rainy days this week and I pressure washed my truck at the car wash today. The inside of my bed was completely dry after the rain storms, but I noted a small amount of dripping down the front wall of my bed after pressure washing. For all intents and purposes any contents of my bed would have remained dry... it was just a couple of drips but worth mentioning. Also worth mentioning is that I have a factory drop-in bed liner which does not allow for the use of the rubber bulkhead seal that comes with the installation kit so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

The hardware included with the Roll-X is substantially built and I was very impressed with how well everything went together. The clamps used on to attach the side rails are solid aluminum and you can really crank them down to make sure the cover won't budge on or off-road.

The size and shape of the Roll-X is excellent, all edges line up evenly along the bed rail and bulkhead rail. Top-notch MADE IN THE USA quality. :birgits_tiredcoffee

As for bed security, if your tailgate is locked the only way someone is getting in your bed is with an axe so don't worry about that. When you click the cover down there are latches in the side rails that lock the cover in.

I received a question via PM:

"Does the Roll-X make noise over bumps"

No. The aluminum is all locked together like 1 piece when it's down, if you bang your fist on it or go over bumps it doesn't rattle or anything like that...

To install you will need:

15mm wrench or socket (use the socket).
...that's it.

15-60 minutes to install, align, admire and avoid the wife.

Here's what's in the box:

DSC00737_zps5127836f.jpg

1. Install the side rails. Attach the rail to the bed side cap using the 3 (per side) supplied clamps. Snug them down for now but you might need to shift the rails during alignment so don't go too tight. Leave a 1/4 space between the forward mounting point and the front of the bed.

DSC00743_zps203b22a0.jpg

DSC00750_zps92d97f0b.jpg

DSC00756_zpsea83640f.jpg

2. Install the bulkhead rail weather seal. Peel and stick. *DO NOT USE WITH DROP-IN BED LINER*. Shown here for illustration purposes only.

DSC00740_zpse3bcf68b.jpg

3 Place the Roll-X in the side rails, leave rolled up for now.

DSC00767_zps63734231.jpg

4. Attach the forward mounting point. Slide the supplied bolts in to the front rail and pass it through the mounting plate. *The instructions mention a "square washer" to go between the cover and the mounting plate. It appears they have updated the rail design and the spacers are already attached to the mounting plate (the black pieces).

DSC00762_zps471b6d6e.jpg

DSC00761_zps07e68825.jpg

5. Loosely secure the front mounting point with the supplied washers and knob. Slide on to the bolt as follows: Rubber washer, Metal washer, Lock washer, Knob. Make sure there is clearance for the spring between the knob and bed wall.

DSC00765_zpsa6075df0.jpg

DSC00766_zps5f31128a.jpg

6. Roll the cover down and check the alignment. Adjust the side rails if necessary to clear the tailgate (they should overhang the inside edge of the tailgate a bit). Secure the clamps using your 15mm wrench or socket.

Align the Roll-X, snug down the front mounting point by tightening the knob. Check how it rolls, locks, etc. If you're satisfied, tighten the knobs completely.

Tips:

Go for a ride and check alignment again the next day. As the truck bed shifts and the Roll-X settles you may require a final re-adjustment.

Use a heat gun to *carefully* warm the rubber seals and lay them flat. They're a bit bumpy out of the box but a hot day in the sun would do the same thing.

You're done!

DSC00779_zps3149c6f6.jpg

Bed extenders clear the side rails - no problem.

DSC00800_zpsf8968988.jpg

DSC00801_zps6819299d.jpg

DSC00791_zps55f5a2b5.jpg

DSC00790_zps8c8310f4.jpg

DSC00789_zps91156532.jpg

DSC00786_zps4bc80f7a.jpg

DSC00794_zps820c33b6.jpg

f150corey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a quality cover. but not the prettiest thing rolled up. does the metal rub against the glass when its rolled up?

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
looks like a quality cover. but not the prettiest thing rolled up. does the metal rub against the glass when its rolled up?

No, there's a good 6" between the rolled up cover and the glass. I actually think it looks cool when it's rolled up...looks solidly built that's for sure.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very good write up and review. I bought the F1 but it was a tough choice. If I did it over again this would probably be the winner.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it Vinyl on the top side of the alum? Looks to be in the picture. If so, can you speak as to how long you think it might last in the elements before breaking down or tearing? Just curious as I have something with similar material on top that has lasted 3 years, but is showing its age now. Looking for something new. Perhaps this or the Fold A Cover.

Princenet201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice review I got the same cover sitting in my apt. Waiting for my 13 SCREW to be delivered. Build date is feb 27. Est delivery date week of march 4th!!

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Is it Vinyl on the top side of the alum? Looks to be in the picture. If so, can you speak as to how long you think it might last in the elements before breaking down or tearing? Just curious as I have something with similar material on top that has lasted 3 years, but is showing its age now. Looking for something new. Perhaps this or the Fold A Cover.

It appears to be vinyl yes. It's thicker than my last tonneau which held up well for a couple years. I think it helps that the cover doesn't fold (crease), and the aluminum beneath is supports it from sagging, stretching, tearing etc. I can't call it but BAK makes good stuff.