Aries Bull Bar Installed on my Ford Raptor SVT F150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 3

Just got the shipping confirmation on the Aries Bull Bar I ordered from Zigs Auto, via eBay.

I ordered this bar back on Feb 14, but Zigs didn't have one in stock and Aries didn't have the parts needed to build one. They called, advised and gave me the option of a refund or to wait. I was in no hurry so I waited.

I also called Aries directly and asked them to confirm this bar will fit the Raptor. They confirmed it will, and Zigs said I could return it if not. To my knowledge (and theirs) this will be the first install on a Raptor.

I'll be sure to take lots of pics and advise! My plan is to not use the skid plate, but I'll put it on and take some pics just to show its fit and looks.

Stay tuned!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welp, the bar came in today!
1.jpg

Of course I dove right in :) Its packed and wrapped well.
2.jpg

I weighted it out of the box, with all the hardware and packing it she comes in at 24lbs
photo.jpg

The hardware we didn't use weighed in at around 3lbs, so figure the bar itself is right around the 20-21lb mark.

Now on to the install! First things first... THIS IS NOT A BOLT UP KIT. Simply put, this bar is not made for the Raptor. If you don't have the ability to cut some serious metal, if you don't have the stomach to grind on your truck, or if you don't want to lose your tow hooks, this bar is not for you. No way around it, Aries is wrong when they say this will fit the Raptor.

Fortunately I have some very skilled metal workers and all the necessary tools at my disposal. My company does this stuff on a regular basis (fit things together not made to fit together), so I turned one of my guys loose on my Raptor and said "Make it fit." And he did. Gladly. He's a Chevy guy and just couldn't wait to hack up a Ford :)
mikey-ford.jpg

First thing; the hooks protrude thru the fascia/bumper via holes bordered on all side by sheet metal. The lower section of sheet metal has to go in order to make this bar fit:
7.jpg

8.jpg

14.jpg

Here's the metal we removed
12.jpg

Next, the brakets that come with the bar need to be modified to clear the bracket that holds the skid plate in place
3.jpg

15.jpg

9.jpg

5.jpg

And after the final cuts:
11.jpg

24.jpg

Here's why the hooks wont work with the brakets:
13.jpg

Now with the bar and bracket bolted in place:
25.jpg

16.jpg

Last modification required was to notch the skid plate to clearance the bar's bracket.
19.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

And the final product:
26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

I LOVE the look. Its exactly what I hoped for; it looks like it belongs up there, it tucks in, it doesn't stick out and there's room for two lights (as planned).

What I do not love is the amount of work this thing required. Like I said I'm fortunate in that I have very skilled guys and tools. If you don't you can plan to pay a shop somewhere between 2-3 hours labor for the install.

I also don't love that I've lost my hooks, but that was to expected (Aries clearly tell you you will loose your hooks). In the end this is ok with me. My eventual plan has always been to mount a hitch up front, so that will be my tow point once I get there. I'll probably cut out the "Aries" logo and go right thru there for the hitch.

Also I plan to replace the grade 5 bolts/nuts (8 total) we used from the kit with some grade 8, just to stay consistent.

All in all, I'm very glad I went this route. I cannot recommend others do though. This is not a bolt up kit and it requires some hacking on your truck.

I'll be sure to update as I add lights and the hitch. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I posted this up on the 'other' forum but it was removed by the staff. If anyone reading this knows somebody who was looking forward to the install and review (there were lots of folks), please let them know where to find it.

TehKing

I'll stuff you all in the crust!
Reaction score
I posted this up on the 'other' forum but it was removed by the staff.

:blam:

Excellent write up, J. You've got no fear about cutting in to that bad boy! :thumbsup:

:cool:

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks great Jason. I just don't like the fact that you have to remove the tow hooks.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the aggressiveness of this bar. It looks hefty and looks as if it can withstand alot more than the FR bar. How does it look with the Aries Skid plate removed? also, here is a photoshop i did of what I have planned. I'm going with the RI LED set up.
BullbarwithLED.jpg

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are a few closeups of the light mount:

mount1.png

mount2.png

mount3.png

mount4.png

I haven't pulled the plugs yet since it looks to me like doing so will wreck them ( I don't have lights yet to fill the holes). But I believe there's a threaded hole under there. Nothing in the documentation says what size that hole is (nor does it confirm its threaded), so I'm a little confused on what to do when I go to order. I'll try to reach Aries tomorrow and see what they say.

PS: Here's another shot I grabbed this morning, better showing the skidplate:
bar1.png

I'll see about pulling it off when time allows in the next couple days and report back.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you are awesome, thanks for those pics. I don't know if you covered it anywhere but does ARIES have any plans on releasing a bar specifically for the Raptor? The one you got is for the 09 F150 correct? I myself am not so mechanically inclined to trust myself drilling and grinding. I know there are tons of auto shops near me in Germany that will be more than happy to do it for me. Instead of shelling out Euros to get it installed , i'd rather have one that just bolts right up made for the Raptor so I can install on my own. When you get ahold of Aries inquire about that if you can. Thanks in advance.