ADD vs heavier duty bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csirnak

Reaction score
I'm looking at a winch bumper for my raptor. I know that adding weight in the front is bad when it's a 200 lb bumper. But I don't jump my truck, I mainly offroad on trails. My question is how do the ADD and other light tube style bumpers hold up in a collision with a deer or tree or other vehicle compared to something like a road armor or fusion?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking at a winch bumper for my raptor. I know that adding weight in the front is bad when it's a 200 lb bumper. But I don't jump my truck, I mainly offroad on trails. My question is how do the ADD and other light tube style bumpers hold up in a collision with a deer or tree or other vehicle compared to something like a road armor or fusion?

I can attest first hand that the add bumpers plus a giant oak tree at less than 5 mph was disasterous to the add bumper.

Ask @Labraptor it was his truck and his family was with him. Luckily it was on a trail. Had it been a high speed collision who knows what could of happened

Bussy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the opposite experience than Huck. Minivan turned in front of me while I was going 45 mph. The accident could have been a hell of a lot worse without their bumper.
798f261020ffbacb043d9468bd63a9d3.jpg

OP
OP
C

csirnak

Reaction score
Well, some mixed reactions here. I like the look of the road armors but man they weigh a lot. But I think they would provide more protection.

I was looking at either ADD, Lex, Road Armor, or Fusion.

D

Deleted member 12951

I personally haven't seen quality issues with ADD but I haven't been around long enough. I would never order from them again because their customer service was less than desirable in my dealings and I will leave it at that.

treatcg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ADD Venom has held up great since 2012. I moved it from my 2011 to my 2013 and no fit issues. I live in Oklahoma so most of my abuse comes from hunting trips. No issues so far. The Rigid 20" purchased with the bumper is still going strong too. Customer service was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lexmotorsports goodguy

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@csirnak here are a few pics of one of our bumpers a customer sent us who met a deer @65+ mph on his way to Dallas, he told me the bumper saved the truck, and eliminated the deer.

This bumper is our ICON, a less is more kind of bumper, for our GEN2 winch , we do offer a option to upgrade the frame horns to 3/16" for the standard 1/8" which is what we use as well as most other tube bumpers on the market. THe 3/16" will add even more strength if you were to have a collision.

please let me know we can help you.

IMG_2839_zps6apvewwq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2840_zps9lu2mqqd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2837_zps10wcszqm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My experience with the bumper was a huge disappointment. While checking it out afterwards it was clear the tubing was extremely thin and not as advertised. Construction was cheap in both materials and workmanship. Customer service for initial purchase was questionable. When looking to replace it customer service actually got worse. That was quite a while ago and they have reportedly worked on the issues. Doesn't matter to me because they already made a lasting impression on me. If you want protection I would buy a bumper made from heavy gauge material. My current bumper has taken some really good shots off road and is none the worse for wear. Slid through a corner during this year's SnoBall and met a granite ledge. Didn't do anything to the bumper. Can't tell you to run out and buy one like it though. Jimmy isn't making bumpers any longer.