ADD Venom Bumper + Rigid 20" LED Install = Way too many pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its been a busy week :)

The minute I saw ADD's Venom design I knew I'd found my bumper. I've run with the Aries Bull Bar (click here for that install) pretty much since I got the truck, and used it as somewhere to put a couple lights (which I ended up moving anyway click here to see to where). I have really liked the look over the past two years, but after having spent a few thousand miles off road in this truck now, I've come to realize I need more protection up there. And since the Aries offers basically zero functional benefit, I've been looking to replace it for a while. Guess what showed up today? :)

Actually there was a bit of confusion with the shipper. They had us down as being a residential location when in fact we're commercial. I guess policy is to call the residential receiver and arrange delivery for the day after the tracking info says to expect delivery. So don't be disappointed if yours shows up a day later than it says, or if you're shipping to a commercial location make sure you tell the ADD guys so they can mark it as so with the shipper.

Rather than wait, we ran over to the depot and picked it up.
1.jpg

2.jpg

This was very well packed; it was well protected as well as bolted down to the pallet to prevent it from wobbling around. This aint ADD's first rodeo, and it shows :)
3.jpg

4.jpg

Off with the old! There are 6 bolts and three plastic trim rivets holding the whole bumper on.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

Both sides of my frame rails were full of dirt. Evidence of good use ;)
13.jpg

14.jpg

Test fit
15.jpg

16.jpg

Here was the only potential gotcha. When you pull off the bumper, you're going to probably pull off some substructure with it. Part of that substructure holds the hood latch release. You'll need to pull it off the stock bumper and put it back onto the plastic fascia. Its a little wobbly now, but should be fine.
17.jpg

18.jpg

11.jpg

25.jpg

There's a rubber flap in there that goes from under the radiator and connects loosely to the OEM bumper. There's no where on the ADD bumper to reattach the mud guard, so rather than cut it off we just rolled it up and zip tied it up and out of the way. I don't plan to reinstall the OEM bumper, but we did this just in case, ya know?
21.jpg

Here's all the old stuff. 24.jpg

I put it all on my scale, as well as the ADD bumper and found that the OEM bumper weighs in at 45lbs and the stock skid checks in at 18lbs, for a total of 63lbs. The ADD bumper weighs 77lbs, making this upgrade basically a 14lb deal. In my case, I also took off that bull bar and custom mounts. Those combined ran 29lbs. So that means making this upgrade actually saved me 15lbs. Not too shabby!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With everything bolted on nice and tight, on to the light!
19.jpg

20.jpg

The mount that holds this light is awesome. Extremely strong and very tight. It took some pretty good pulling to spread it just enough to get the bar in there, but that's a good thing. No flopping around or rattling. ADD nailed this bit for sure.
22.jpg

23.jpg

26.jpg

Here's the light pattern; bottom is the 20" Rigid LED, middle is the stock hi beams, and top are the hood mounted LightForce Striker 170 HIDs.
27.jpg

28.jpg

Now for one knitpick. The driver side triangle mounts nice and flush with the tubes.
30.jpg

Here's the passenger side.
29.jpg

See that gap? Looking at it carefully, it looks like this peice was bent incorrectly at the shop, then someone tried to fix it but didn't get the fix quite right resulting in the triangle bowing out and away about 3/16" from the tubes. Definitely not a big deal, but it is noticeable. I'll probably pull off the plate and fix it eventually.

Other than that, and my customary replacing of all the supplied grade 5 hardware with grade 8 hardware, this bumper and LED mounted right up, looks great and is clearly a quality piece.

I really dig this thing. I've seen many great looking bumpers come over the last two years, but this one really jumped out and grabbed me; I liked its relatively low profile (it doesn't stick out too far), how the LED bar is secured behind a grill (no theft!) and quite frankly how damn good it looks on the truck. Once I got it, it became clear this is a quality piece made by craftsmen, and I really appreciated how it just bolted right up. Nice job ADD, and thanks!

Last edited:

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Dude!! Nice!!

Looks like we might have to plan a little excursion once the sun goes down to test your new system out!!

Banned
Reaction score
Damn. I knew the second I saw them post that bumper it would be the sweetest looking on out there. Looks great.

-Sent from my iPhone

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude!! Nice!!

Looks like we might have to plan a little excursion once the sun goes down to test your new system out!!
Sweeeeet!

Like I told ya, I really really didn't like how my old system worked on Hunter Mtn that night. Ticked me off actually... so a subtle change and slight tweak was in order ;)

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks amazing Bigj, and great write up, again, thank you!!!

One question, i didnt see a perch adjustment on your shocks, but it appears that your front rides a bit taller. Are you running a spacer?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome install and great choice J. I agree with you that this is the nicest bumper option out there (with the stealth version #2).

It looks great on your rig.

3 questions;

How long did the install take, did you require a 2nd set of hands and how much $$ was just the bumper? (I already have a 20" rigid)

Regards.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome install and great choice J. I agree with you that this is the nicest bumper option out there (with the stealth version #2).

It looks great on your rig.
Thank you!

3 questions;

How long did the install take, did you require a 2nd set of hands and how much $$ was just the bumper? (I already have a 20" rigid)

Regards.
The install took perhaps an hour. That does not include wiring up the light; I already had an upfitter wired down there ready to go so it was a simple matter of connecting it up (switch 3 since the bar draws around 10amp continuous 15amp peak).

In theory you could do this yourself, but I wouldn't try. Its much easier to have someone support the OEM from up top as you remove the bolts from underneath. And the same is true when bolting back in the ADD. You could rig some supports or straps instead I supose, but if you've got a buddy or ladyfriend at home, in exchange for a few minutes of help throw either a kiss ;)

As for cost, as you see mine its in the $1200 range plus shipping.

Hope that helps and thanks again!