.50 Bullet Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTGOAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trying something new,

I bought one of Craven Speed's last bullet antennas the other day and put it on. I had to find a universal antenna kit and use one of the screws to mount in on the truck. It looks neat but I came up with the idea to mount the bullet antenna in a .50 shell.

I drilled out the bottom of the shell and took the short antenna from the universal kit and ran it through the middle. I am going to cut the antenna down, solder in the screw for the bullet antenna and solder a washer on the base of the antenna to keep it from moving around. Then I will simply screw the bullet antenna onto the threads inside the .50 shell and then screw it on to the truck.

Ill sand the brass down and hit it with some clear and mount it up. One thing I did notice is that the bullet antenna is a tad bit smaller then the .50 shell diameter. I would guess to say its more about .46 or so. I think if i add a little liquid electrical past around the inside it will seal it up nicely and it wont look bad after I roll it some. If i had an actual round that was fired rather then a blank i think it would look nicer. the blank has crimped ends that when I rounded them out it sort of looks beat up. it will work for a prototype though.

Once I find my soldering iron I will get this finished up and post some pictures for you to see. give me about a week, i may need to buy a new iron.

Update : Been working on this a little.
Notes are in the pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2012-07-05_20-19-27_311.jpg
    2012-07-05_20-19-27_311.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 2012-07-05_20-23-30_788.jpg
    2012-07-05_20-23-30_788.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 626
  • 2012-07-05_20-33-49_608.jpg
    2012-07-05_20-33-49_608.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Go down to your local gun shop, buy some .50BMG rounds and ask them if they have the tools to pull the bullet and primer for you?

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

I don't know about with .50BMG rounds, but with stuff up to .308 I can get the bullet out just by putting the very end of the bullet on the edge of a table and pushing down real hard to bend the neck of the casing open a bit. It takes a few times, but it's worked every time.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I think just drilling out the bottom of the case and re-crimping the bullet in there would look completely awesome...just my .02 though.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Instead of leaving an open end at the top I mean.

OP
OP
MTGOAT

MTGOAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I was trying to use the bullet antenna as the "round". I guess you could look at pulling the primer out and the bullet then slide in the bullet antenna inside the casing and re-crimp the actual bullet on the end. I just didnt want to hid the Craven Speed antenna inside the shell.

I have been soldering up some different ways to get the threaded end through the shell. I will post up some pictures tonight. Its not going as well as I had hoped. I should get a tig welder but I dont have that option.

If this works out well enough I may have to go buy a few rounds and have the shop empty them like suggested to get a clean round to work with.

Thanks for the support!