What is this part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this thing behind the pass side rear piller plastic interior panel

What the heck is it?

--john

image-2737200072.jpg

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the airbags were all the kind that u can hook to a battery and blow up. So the rear ones use a gas canister? Very cool.

After having a lot of the panels open a bit for my VHF install (See my thread on the electronics section) im realizing how many airbags the truck has. VERY COOL STUFF!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in all seriousness, that canister contains a chemical, that when triggered by an electric charge, ignites and expands as a gas, inflating and filling the airbags. the metal tube is so the gas doesnt escape and go in the wrong direction. i think the very first airbags had compressed gas but they could not inflate fast enough

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

I'm in a hotel room and you had me annoying my neighbors top, bottom, left and right
im glad you got a laugh. haha

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's definitely a SRS pyrotechnic inflator, but I can't tell it's exact location in the vehicle. It looks a lot like the side air curtain inflator, but I believe I see a seat belt retractor in the photo too, so it could be the seat belt pyro pretensioner/retractor.