Steering wheel alignment stripe gone!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airic

Reaction score
After purchasing my new raptor I noticed that the Red alignment stripe on the steering wheel was dyed black to match the rest of the steering wheel. How and why this was done by the previous owner I'm unsure, but I have noticed that its starting to wear down and some of the red is starting to come through. I attempted to grab a rag & cleaner and attempted to remove the black, but now its a mixture of black/red/grey and is starting to look horrible... Like it's worn down and old.

What's the easiest way to restore the red stripe? Is this possible? If not I guess my only option is to dye it black again.

D

Deleted member 12951

I think @cbcgeneral did his. Guys are buying material and sewing it on. Search for it, there is several threads on it.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if it's still in warranty you can get Ford to swap it out. I had mine done 4 days before my warranty expired and mine wasn't even that bad, but the new one is a whole lot nicer.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Airic like RDFTS said I did replace mine and it was fairly simple. Joann Fabrics has a red vinyl that's the same color as the strip in the steering wheel. If yours isn't under warranty and you decide you're going to replace it yourself just let me know and I'll give you a rundown of how to do it.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could try painting it, although I'm not sure how it would hold up. They sell vinyl and leather paint, as well as vinyl and leather repair kits. Restolium even sells paint for this type of applications.

OP
OP
A

Airic

Reaction score
First of all let me say I'm always impressed on the response/help I get on this forum, unbelievable!

My truck is at 40k miles so no more factory warranty, however, I have an appointment on Thursday at the dealership and I'm buying an extended warranty....haven't checked to see if something like this would be covered.
@cbcgeneral , I would love to know how you replaced yours just in case I can't get my replacement via warranty or if I decide not to keep the black. thanks