Removing Dot Matrix from Windshield...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone etched off, removed with chemicals, etc the dot matrix on the windshield? This is the black dotted material at the top center of the windshield near the rear view mirror.

On my previous 2 windshields, the dot matrix was embedded inside the glass, so was not possible. My new replacement glass, the dot matrix is on the interior, can feel it. Not looking to remove it all, but hoped to etch off a portion of it to tuck a radar detectors and/or cameras up above the mirror.

If anyone has had any luck with this, would appreciate any feedback.

Gracias amigos!

There is a ton of good windshield info in below link, and have inquired there as well a while back...
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/i-need-new-ford-raptor-windshield-oem-aftermarket-8506/

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always been curious if they made them with nothing in the center... That is really ideal, wish I had considered that as I just got a new insurance free replacement

I do know you can get them with "f150" or "ford", can you snap a pic of the window stamp when you're out in the truck next? Guessing it's just a standard generic replacement, I've always requested ford glass

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I, unlike Ruby, like the 'stock' look of the decal the windshield. ;-) As to the options you have, not sure, but when I ordered my replacement windshield from Safelight, the choice seemed to be 'decal or no decal'. Also, with my insurance, it costs me $50 either way...

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sitdown,
That matrix is an attempt to limit bright light where the visors can't help. Try a new clean dry razor blade and I bet you can clear as much as you want with very little difficulty. The rear view mirror snaps into place on a metal piece glued to the glass. Gentle firm upward persuasion should allow removal of the mirror from the glass. unclip the wiring and scrape away...
Eddie

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sitdown,
The rear view mirror snaps into place on a metal piece glued to the glass. Gentle firm upward persuasion should allow removal of the mirror from the glass. unclip the wiring and scrape away...
Eddie

Neither the guy that replaces my windshields nor my tint guy will attempt to remove the rearview from my truck. Be very very careful should you attempt it yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be a little concerned you got ripped off on that windshield replacement if he never removed the rear view mirror. That is a hell of a trick!

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He removed it after it was out of the truck. Soon as windshield guy reinstalled it I asked if he'd remove it to make it easy for tint guy but he said no.

Who cares where this is sent from?