Phone Case/Dash Mount for the Raptor (iphone/Samsung/ipad)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrGreen33

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back in December, my iPhone 3gs died (lost all my contacts!!) after a night in the rain, recovering my friends 2010 Taco up in Lytle Creek, Ca. The next day I went to the At&T store and bought the iPhone 5. I knew I wanted to protect the iPhone from accidental drops and such, but did not know what exactly to get…the search was on.

I had narrowed my choices from what seemed like 1000’s of choices, to these three cases;

Lifeproof Case
Apple iPhone 5 Case | LifeProof

OtterBox (Defender/Commuter)
iPhone 5 cases & covers | OtterBox | The #1 selling case for smartphones

Rokform (RokShield v3 iP5 Case) similar case available for the ipad & Samsung S3
Mountable Protective iPhone 5 Case with Hands-Free Driving Mount and Optional Magnet mounting :: Rokshield v3

I ended up choosing the Rokform (RokShield v3 iP5 Case) for a few reasons;

Style (aesthetics) of the case

Out of the three cases I was looking at, this had the most visual appeal to me. Also, it was not as bulky as the other cases.

Function/Duel purpose

The main reason for my purchase of a case was to protect the phone, because my last phone (iPhone 3gs) lasted for a few years with a good case. Now, the dual function I hinted to is that this case has a couple of ways of mounting your phone to different surfaces.

Magnet Insert

This is a very useful option and makes for quick and easy mounting to just about any magnetic surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH_rw5TLGvQ

RMS

RMS (Remote Mounting System) standard .5”

The RMS allows you to securely mount your iPhone's in either portrait or landscape in the places you use your phone most. The v3 case comes with an RMS system, this is an additional option for mounting in more than one place. Simply clean the surface, peel, stick and your mount is ready for use.

Hands Free Easy Stick Mount | Rokform.com - YouTube

&

Made in the USA!!

Install

Installing was simple and easy, but now that I did it twice (one RMS for each Driver/Passenger) I have a few tips that can help others.

The phone comes with one RMS,I decided to buy two extra RMS units (lucky foresight) when purchasing the case.

The first try was a total fail, because I thought it would be a “Smart” idea to attach the RMS to the phone, peel the 3M , a simply alignment of the phone, and then all would be good. Not the Case (no pun in tented). As soon as I tried un mounting the phone from the RMS, the RMS just came off with the phone.

At this point I thought I was duped for $60($40 case, $8 (two RMS) good things it was Free Shipping, hawhaw.

Anyways, I contacted their support line and explained my situation. Within a few days, they had shipped my a replacement package including; one RMS, a couple screen protectors, few wipes and another small cloth. Completely amazed by their Quick and Friendly service!!

Also, IMPORTANT:
The support line had suggested leaving the RMS for 72 hours before trying to mount and dismount the phone.

Tip: Do not attach your phone to the Case when you first receive it. The reason for this is that, you can attach the case to the RMS and then perfectly align the case with the RMS attached. Then leave it mounted for the 72hours as suggested by the Support line.

So, I mounted my first RMS mount after measuring and so forth, and let the first RMS sit without use for 72 hours. Completely surprised with how sturdy these little RMS units are. I used the first RMS for couple weeks and decided to mount the other spare I still had on the passenger side to even things out in the cabin.

I have now been using this system for mounting my phone in the Raptor daily for the past 6 months without a problem. I have also hit a few trails with no problem, I have finally found a solution to placing my cellphone in the cup holder and flying all over the place. Plus the Magnet is Awesome, so many times I have just slapped the phone to a metal surface to watch a new YouTube vid on my feed list, just convenient, haha. Below are the end results, could have been installed with better alignment, but….

Someone has to be the guinea pig …hahaha

IMG_3492_zpsbcded668.jpg

IMG_3495_zps6dc1d399.jpg

IMG_3491_zpsd56c2462.jpg

IMG_3480_zps95c9c811.jpg

IMG_3489_zps4252d42a.jpg

IMG_3479_zps3e603847.jpg

Last edited:

SVTCALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly where I mounted mine. Perfect spot. I like the idea of putting the RMS on both sides of the dash. Especially since I just ordered my GF a rokform also.