OEM (The Real Deal) Ambient Lighting discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Went to the dealer and spent an hour or so looking at various ways to reprogram the APIM to change the as-built to enable the ambient light setting in the touch screen. Thus far no-joy. Going to place a call to the Ford Tech hotline and see if they can do a little miracle making.

Have not given up yet.

Hotline will tell you to pound sand. Was down this road a few times and all they will tell you is its not possible and can not be done. I had this response about adding a rear camera, Factory tire and wheel combinations, and power telescoping tow mirrors.

OP
OP
Svtweb

Svtweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotline will tell you to pound sand. Was down this road a few times and all they will tell you is its not possible and can not be done. I had this response about adding a rear camera, Factory tire and wheel combinations, and power telescoping tow mirrors.

Unfortunately, I feel you are probably right. But this is a process and I am following the process until I hit a dead end.

Not just this project, but many things in life are stifled because of the wrong attitude. It is far easier to say "It can't be done" rather than to research the solution. Sometimes, it takes a consumer to work with a company to help them understand the need for a process that not only improves customer satisfaction, but opens doors for process improvements.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I had this in my Fusion Sport, it was in a rental Ford Explorer, and I was kind of surprised it wasn't in the truck. Granted, I rarely used it, but it was nice when passengers were in the car to turn it on and provide some ambient light as opposed to sitting in darkness. Also helpful when dropping something and grabbing it versus turning on the dome lights.

I know you'll figure it out @Svtweb it's just a matter of time.

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I feel you are probably right. But this is a process and I am following the process until I hit a dead end.

Not just this project, but many things in life are stifled because of the wrong attitude. It is far easier to say "It can't be done" rather than to research the solution. Sometimes, it takes a consumer to work with a company to help them understand the need for a process that not only improves customer satisfaction, but opens doors for process improvements.

I totally agree with you and I am by no means trying to discourage you in your quest to get this done. I am excited to see the dedication you have to this project and getting it right. I was only mentioning the experiences I have had in the past with hotline and more recently their stand on modifications even with factory parts. I have always followed through on the process even knowing what the answer from them would be. My only hope is enough of those requests will make them rethink what we are trying to do in the field and open up the resources to allow us to make more changes.

Let me know if you need any help or access to resources you may not have. However it looks like you have it under control. Im looking forward to the outcome.

OP
OP
Svtweb

Svtweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I have not given up on this, I am just biding my time working with the local dealership and FoMoCo to provide the known solution.

It is all about talking to the right people with the right attitude. Getting huffy and puffy will just doom the entire process. While someone may say that it cannot be done, just ask them for their supervisors name and number and bid them a happy day. There are people out there that have the correct access to the Ford technical applications that will allow for this to happen.. In the mean time, I am starting project #2....