iPad mount for driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RapaTon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good iPad mount for the driver side. I want to use this with the SCT iTSX among things. I have (will have on my 2012) the navigation system so I don't want to cover that up but I'd like to have a good view from the driver's seat. Minimizing vibration movement would be ideal. Anyone out there have a good option?

Also looking for headrest iPad mounts for the rear passengers. My kids are small and I'm considering iPads in the back vs in-headrest DVD. I saw the CoulVue from Toucoul TouCoul iPad, iPhone, and iPod Accessories. These look like the telescope a bit (my kids are small so reaching out away from the headrest is a big deal. The mounts also look like they really hold the iPad firmly which would help prevent flying objects in an accident. Anyone use these or have a better option?

Thanks,

RapaTon

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
I went with a Ram Mount. They offer different sized mounts for many different devices.

Laptop setup...
2011-05-2312-56-14530-L.jpg

Smaller Monitor/Tablet mount...
2011-05-2311-07-00374-L.jpg

Last edited:

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol.... I forgot all about these. I had a Ram Mount for a laptop about 2004 I think. I bet I still have it somewhere.... its good, it bolts to the factory seat bolts in the floor, its not going anywhere.

But I really don't carry a laptop or iPad with me to use in the car anymore. I'll see if I can dig it up.

pfbz

Reaction score
I've been using an iPad in my truck (FX4, not Raptor as you can see...) since I bought it this past Summer. I had a similar solution in my Touareg. Swap the iPad back and forth.

Love it!
Much more functionality than any factory nav, traffic, topo's, internet searching for addresses or businesses, etc.

Done with RAM mounts, C-size 1.5" balls. I've used a few different arm configurations, but I get the maximum flexibility and rock-solid stability wtha medium arm, a short arm, and a double-ball connector.

I mounted it to the center console instead of a seat bolt. Plenty strong for the iPad's weight, and less intrusive.

Perfect positioning for my to see and use when behind the wheel (yes, I pull over if I have to do anything more than a a few taps). No interference or intrusion for the passenger, they can still see and reach without any obstrucion pretty much every center stack control except the passenger heat knob. For that, they just have to look over the ipad. Of course the whole thing just swings into an alternate position with a single adjustment knob, so no big deal if you do want it out of the way.

Power is supplied via a cig. light iPad adapter in the center console, with the wire run under the front center console to the iPad. Audio is streamed from the iPad to the stock stereo via bluetooth. You could also hook it directly up to the USB, but the stock USB port will not charge an iPad.

IMG1549-L.jpg
IMG1552-L.jpg
IMG1555-L.jpg

Google traffic overlay...
IMG1568-M.jpg

My primary GPS app, MotionX Drive. Allows preloading of routes when you will be out of GPS range.
IMG1566-M.jpg

Another GPS app by the same vendor, MotionX GPS. Does not provide turn-by-turn navigation, but does allow you to pre-download extremely detailed road and topo maps.
IMG1567-M.jpg

A little more useful than sync "reading" you the weather forecast?
IMG1572-M.jpg

Last edited:

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
bfbz,

Are you concerned about those screws pulling out of the plastic while off-loading?

pfbz

Reaction score
bfbz,

Are you concerned about those screws pulling out of the plastic while off-loading?

Not screws, through bolts with a backing plate. And I also put in a little bit of metal bracing inside the console to make it even stiffer, but I don't think the bracing is necessary. It's surprisingly stable, even off road.

I also use RAM C-size mounts (1.5") to mount my roadbook on an off-road rallye bike. It gets hammered far more than anything I'd ever do in my truck, or pretty much any truck (well, maybe not a trophy truck at race speed) and holds up great even with that abuse.

OP
OP
R

RapaTon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pfbz,
Thanks for the info. Did you try mounting up closer to the top of the dash?