I broke my center console with fire extinguisher mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had mounted the fire extinguisher on the back of the center console, and it had worked great but I got too big and heavy of and extinguisher, and with the weight the clips that hold the back of the console stripped the holes where they clip into, and now that back part is loose.

Sigh.

I have to repair that damage and find a new fire extinguisher placement solution.

So, am I going to need to replace the entire console, or can the parts that have the square holes where the back of the console clips on to be replaced? Anyone have a similar problem?

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's a pic from when I installed it. The clips circled in yellow are what clip into holes inside the console. Those holes are in thin plastic, and they both stripped.

I found a complete take off center console in eBay for $225 shipped. I went that route. That will give me a new back cover AND whatever piece it clips onto, which I am pretty sure it's the center console itself.

Any good write ups on replacing the center console?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 162
OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I forget the exact size, 5 pounder maybe? Take a look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 122

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wonder it broke! I would down size the extinguisher if your going to mount it inside the cab. Most interior pretty parts are just clipped or screwed in. Take a look at Yukon Joe's write up on his door install. Pretty slick.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He he. Yeah. Should've known. But hey, now I get to learn how to swap out the center console. Looks like an easy but long job. Don't want to break anything else, so need to take it nice and easy.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are some better pics of the damage. The clips are ok, but the holes ripped. But since I drilled holes in the covers where the clips are, I need to replace the cover as well.

Those holes are built into the console, so it does seem that a console replacement is required.

There goes my Saturday.

ezuququg.jpg

7u7u8e4a.jpg