How to remove the rear view mirror?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So a search turned up two different methods. A tool or flathead scredriver prying from the top, or the same but from the bottom.

So which is it?

I've read a ton of horror stories about cracked windshields trying to do this. I don't get it, why so difficult? I want to install a homelink mirror I had in a previous vehicle, and that one attaches with one screw. I read that this mirror is "designed" to break away in the case of a collision.

So should I pry it off from the top or from the bottom?

:superhack:

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My windshield was just replaced today, the mirror slides UP to be removed. Personally, I would not pry at it with anything. The glass installers used a very small piece of wood and tapped it to lift the mirror off it's mount.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tint guys cracked my windshield last year. The installer had to go to the hospital with a sliced hand. Long story short this is the 3rd windshield in the truck because of trying to remove the mirror

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ha. i would have to search for it. or just pull mine off again later.

Do you recall if it comes off starting from the top or the bottom? I'm looking at it and I just can't see how it would come off from the top like the video that's floating around in YouTube, but the guy makes it look so easy.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are 2 ways to pull the mirror. there is a metal plate that is glued on the window. you have to pry on the plate to remove the mirror. and you can do it from the top. there are metal clips in the mirror mount that hold it in place. if you pry on the glass, you will have a broken window. the other way is if you have the right tool, you can access it from the bottom and slide it up, but the clip has 2 small edges that protrude up and without the tool, becomes difficult.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took it to my tint installer and they wouldn't touch it. They said they cracked some guys windshield last week. I bought the tool at Amazon and will give it a whirl. Thanks for the description!