Dechromed the console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got rid of the chrome on the shifter, surround, and cup holders. Pulling it apart was super simple, and used the same rustoleum "soft iron" as I used for the tailgate emblem.

How did you do the shifter??? Also I see you in spring, so am I. You in HARO???

OP
OP
aR4CE

aR4CE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you do the shifter??? Also I see you in spring, so am I. You in HARO???

You bet- you'll know me by the hi lift jack for sale post on HARO. hit me up

This video was a big help in getting the shifter apart. Once you have it out of the truck, it's pretty straight-forward to take apart. (being careful with clips and prying and whatnot). Toughest part is unclipping the shifter console; i just took my time and used a long flat blade. I can help out too if need be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx2pETbNhCY

Ajh15

Reaction score
Did you do anything to the plastic prior to painting? How is it holding up? Does the texture have a different feel? Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
aR4CE

aR4CE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do anything to the plastic prior to painting? How is it holding up? Does the texture have a different feel? Thanks for the info!

Scuffed it with high grit paper and hit it with some alcohol. Texture is a bit rougher but I didn't wet sand or clear coat. Shifter is holding up good- I might hit the over pieces again and possibly clear- metal cans can and stuff can chip it.

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bet- you'll know me by the hi lift jack for sale post on HARO. hit me up

This video was a big help in getting the shifter apart. Once you have it out of the truck, it's pretty straight-forward to take apart. (being careful with clips and prying and whatnot). Toughest part is unclipping the shifter console; i just took my time and used a long flat blade. I can help out too if need be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx2pETbNhCY

Oh yea, I saw that earlier today.

Thanks for the video, I recently changed out my door handles for the black ones as I wanted the chrome out of my truck. The shifter was the only thing I was worried about.

OP
OP
aR4CE

aR4CE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, I saw that earlier today.

Thanks for the video, I recently changed out my door handles for the black ones as I wanted the chrome out of my truck. The shifter was the only thing I was worried about.

I was thinking of doing the handles as well. Any tips or writeups? did you buy black ones?

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the handles as well. Any tips or writeups? did you buy black ones?

I bought the black ones off eBay, $50. The handles are black, but the housing is more of a dark chocolate color, so I just took a rattle can to them and made them black.

RangerRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job! I did the same thing to my interior pieces about a year and a half ago. I've had to repaint the shifter pieces a few times because it seems to chip easily. I pulled my door handles apart and painted those as well, but now that you mentioned finding black handles on Ebay I may go that route instead.

-Rob

Last edited: