De-chromed shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c-ne-elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got tired of the shinny shifter and attacked it with the plasti dip yesterday. MUCH better look!

Did not / could not remove the shifter so just taped everything off and sprayed it. Down where the shifter meets the plastic guard at the bottom of the shifter, there ended up being a small gap of silver after stripping off the masking so took an artist brush and loaded it up with plasti dip to the point where it was wanting to drip off and carefully let it "drip" off the brush onto the chrome for several coats. Worked great! If you try to brush it on the plasti dip does not want to come off the brush but if you load up the brush and then just touch the surface and let the plasti dip run off the brush onto the surface it will come off the brush and on to the other surface.

Attachments

• Console Forum.jpg
    Console Forum.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 203
OP
OP
c-ne-elk

c-ne-elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think so? Have had the cup holder trim sprayed for several months and has not peeled at all. I realize that the shifter will get more use. If it will last for 6 months I will be happy to peel and respray as I do not like the shinny chrome!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
If you're careful it should be fine for a while.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks great but it's going to peel off in no time :(

Agreed on both counts.

Its looks Great!!! but as the Bird advised..Its gonna peel/tear in short order (especially around shifter where you rub against it with the palm of your hand).