2010 Ford Raptor Seat Heater: Driver's side hot spot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You tell me:

http://youtu.be/BKhhRvCr8L8

I've noticed the last few weeks that its been getting awful hot down, uh, there. I kinda ignored it because, well, you understand, us tough guys don't complain about silly stuff like this. You know how it is.

But lately its gotten to be too much. To the point where I had to stop using the heater all together. So seeing that I've got around 4k left on my bumper to bumper, I took 'er in and left her all day with the dealership. The result? "That's totally normal." And "Its been like that since you got it." And "That's the way they work". I guess maybe I'm getting soft and sensitive in my old age?

After a bit more discussion, I learned that the tech found an average cushion temp of 95deg. Exactly perfectly within spec. I also learned that the way they test these things is by using an infrared temp gun. In fact, this gun:

31ysBxXPEgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In fact, the very same gun I happen to already own. How (un)lucky for them! We agreed that I'll "keep an eye on it" and I left.

The next day I grab my gun, hop in the truck, start heading to the dealership, turn on the heater, let myself get burned and just happen to catch my service adviser as I rolled up. I hop out, flash a big ole grin as I wiggle my temp gun and we check. Well wouldya look at that. 170degs! Lets go get the tech.

He comes out, tests using my gun and proceeds to again tell me how normal this is, how its been like this since day one, how he used the passenger seat to double check and compare but now wouldn't be a good time to compare again because it would take too much time...

Bottom line? They're ordering me a new heater element and seat cushion, although its clearly against their better judgement... ya know... since its not going to make any difference at all since its always been like this and that's how they're supposed to work. In a week I should get a call that the part's come in, and I get to make a third trip.

At the end of the day, they're taking care of me. But geez what a struggle. It took (in theory) me buying my own sensor, me doing my own testing, and even then when they were faced with incontrovertible evidence it still took me playing the polite friendly amenable but ultimately hard nosed customer to get some resolution. They're really nice folks over there, they do good work and I know times are tough, but come on guys.
:doh:

Last edited:

Lance Vincent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting the hot spot just under my right leg. started about two weeks ago. It would get realy hot in one spot! Now driver side DOES NOT WORK at all!?!?!!!!! Im over 45,000 miles so crap !!!

What part numbers did they replace???

verytalonted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting the hot spot just under my right leg. started about two weeks ago. It would get realy hot in one spot! Now driver side DOES NOT WORK at all!?!?!!!!! Im over 45,000 miles so crap !!!

What part numbers did they replace???

Same problem here!!!

Used to get hella hot only under my right thigh, like uncofortablely HOTT!!!

But now it doesn't work at all only the driver's side. I press the button and the two red lights turn on for a second, then turn off.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
My Lights stay on but no heat? Pass side works fine.

Heater element is bad. Not hole in it or open ckt where light turns right on then off. Instead the light will stay on only the elements won't heat up due to high resistance in element.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welp, here we go again. The new replacement unit has gone bad. I just called at it might be covered under warranty (each new part they install is covered for 12k / 12mo). I think I'm over the mileage, but they want to see it anyway and maybe work something out.

More to come Thursday when I take it in.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cadillac and vw had seat heater problems a lot. i used to have to replace the heating pad and the seat cover because it would burn a hole through the cover. i never did find out why, but im guessing its the heating element.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welp they whacked me for $105 to tell me that (1) its broken-duh (2) its the heater element in the seat-duh again (3) its not under warranty and (4) the total to replace after parts and labor will be around $350. Sux.

Now the question becomes this: replace it (again) only to have it go out for a third time a year from now, or realize that the seat itself is barely hanging on (because of my size and the off road pounding I put on it) and therefore save up a little while and replace the whole freaking seat? I'm leaning toward the latter...