GEN 1 2011-2012 6R80 Transmission Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anybody seen this or received a notice in the mail?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-recalls-ford-f-150-150500589.html

RECALL #1: 2011-2012 Ford F-150, 2012 Ford Expedition, Ford Mustang, and Lincoln Navigator
UNITS AFFECTED: 201,900, including 184,000 in the U.S. and 17,900 in Canada

This recall stems from a transmission problem--specifically, an issue with the output speed sensor on the transmission's lead frame. The underlying problem appears rooted in the software associated with the powertrain control module, which could cause vehicles to downshift suddenly. According to Ford:

"Under certain conditions, the transmission controls could force a temporary downshift into first gear. Depending on the speed of the vehicle at the time of the downshift, the driver could experience an abrupt speed reduction that could cause the rear tires to slide or lock up. This condition could result in loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash."

Three accidents have been potentially linked to the problem, but no injuries.

Ford says that dealers will inspect the powertrain control module and upgrade the software if there are no diagnostic trouble codes found. The upgrade will prevent the vehicles from downshifting into first gear if a fault with the output speed sensor takes place. Ford also says that it will replace the lead frame on vehicles that have logged fewer than 150,000 miles.

The recall is limited to vehicles equipped with 6R80 transmissions that were manufactured on the following dates:

2011-2012 Ford F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Assembly Plant and Kansas City Assembly Plant between August 19, 2011 and March 9, 2012
2012 Ford Expedition vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant between August 19, 2011 and December 19, 2011
2012 Ford Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant between August 19, 2011 and February 21, 2012
2012 Lincoln Navigator vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant between August 19, 2011 and December 17, 2011

Pyro3601

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer says I picked a good one. Am not included in this recall. Sure sounds like it could cause some excitement on a road trip that's for sure

ibleedblue

Reaction score
Ran my Vin and mine is included in the recall. Just had it at the Ford Dealership today for an oil change and nothing was mentioned about it.

ibleedblue

Reaction score
Called Dealership today asking why said recall wasn't addressed. Service guy said there is no solution for the fix from Ford at this time, it is expected by the 3rd quarter, which is November or until I receive a recall letter from Ford. Just curious if anyone else received the same response, or was I just getting lip service.

Tango_9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received this recall today, I had just ordered the SVC tune, I do wonder how the recall software fix will effect the tune???

smarsha11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received this recall today, I had just ordered the SVC tune, I do wonder how the recall software fix will effect the tune???

+1

My guess is that worst case scenario my 5star tune will need to be reapplied if I can find my programmer...

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called Dealership today asking why said recall wasn't addressed. Service guy said there is no solution for the fix from Ford at this time, it is expected by the 3rd quarter, which is November or until I receive a recall letter from Ford. Just curious if anyone else received the same response, or was I just getting lip service.

Yep, heard the same thing from my dealer........

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

+1

My guess is that worst case scenario my 5star tune will need to be reapplied if I can find my programmer...
You guys should be taking your trucks back to stock for such work. If the dealer flashes the ECU and it's not stock, it could eff it up.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Post a pic ofyour Raptor here:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1003701
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Vote for a pic here: vvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f18/may-not-contest-48539/

Last edited: