Aluminum isn't strong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aluminum is very strong, ask the original land rover owners.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually Aluminum is soft.
But!
Aluminum Alloys and forging can be extremely strong and/or tuff.

which is what I was referring to of course - Iron is pretty soft too until it to is alloyed into steel

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
which is what I was referring to of course - Iron is pretty soft too until it to is alloyed into steel

Actually Iron by itself is brittle, it needs forging or alloying to be useful in todays application.
Steel can be an alloy steel, but steel is made by blowing oxygen in to molten iron to burn most of the carbon.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually Iron by itself is brittle, it needs forging or alloying to be useful in todays application.
Steel can be an alloy steel, but steel is made by blowing oxygen in to molten iron to burn most of the carbon.
cast iron is brittle but thats more its crystalline structure and high carbon content (3-4%) than its raw nature... Raw iron can be cut with a knife... why I am replying to these pedantic posts I dunno :)

Last edited:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cast iron is brittle but thats more its crystalline structure than its raw nature... why I am replying to these pedantic posts I dunno :)
for once you are correct, but that what iron is by just being iron.

And, I think you glutton for punishment ............................:)