Whipple vs roush vs hellion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProjecT 9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbos do make more efficient power but often the combinations are more difficult to tune properly for good driveability. It takes the fun out of owning a 600+ HP vehicle.

On the other hand a Supercharger makes very good power and instant TQ which is what you want for a 6,000+lb truck.

We have two very proven combinations with our Roush 650HP and Whipple 650HP kit. Both kits are very well put together and make about the same amount of power that your stock engine can handle. The Whipple is a larger unit and allows for further upgrade-ablility to make more power if a proper fuel system and built engine are installed.

If you have any questions feel free to contact our team at 732-780-0770.

JimIII@JDM

Whats the size of the roush? whipple a 2.9L, Roush?

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Whats the size of the roush? whipple a 2.9L, Roush?

Roush = 2.3L TVS
Whipple = 2.9L Twin Screw

The TVS charger is very efficient in the low-mid range power band and efficient for up to 800HP. The Whipple 2.9L since it is larger in volume can produce more power. It has an efficiency range of about 900-1000HP. The Whipple's low-midrange power curve is a little softer than a TVS in comparison but it picks up more power toward redline showing it's efficiency.

We are only spinning these superchargers to about 10 psi. Both of them are designed to run up to 20+ psi boost and that's where they really shine :) However you would need a built motor and fuel system if you wanted to try that!

I tell this to my customers all the time. It's half a dozen to one, 6 to the other....Both chargers have the potential to make more power than your stock engine and fuel system can support. It's just what it takes to get there. If you look at our kit's we've built the recipe to do that!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
make sure you don't get the Whipple kit with the 60lb injectors, word is they are very difficult to tune.

See I hate when people think they know something. Added: because they heard it somewhere!
When Whipple first came out in 2012 with the kit they came with Siemans 63 lbs. injectors.
And the kit was strictly designed for full stock exhaust!
I and many others had no problems.
Now people started putting headers on and found out no one could Tune it.
Thanks to Whipple and

Have work finish later

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
See I hate when people think they know something.
When Whipple first came out in 2012 with the kit they came with 63 lbs. injectors.
Now people started putting headers on and found out noone could Tune it.
Thanks to Whipple and

Have work finish later

Whipple is using Deatschwerks 60# injectors in their stage 2 kit now and we've been getting a lot of calls about re-tuning trucks because of driveability issues. Once we switch them to 47# injectors and our tune they rave about how well the truck performs. Whipple makes a kick ass blower, we have kick ass tuning! Besides that 47# injectors will support over 600 RWHP and most Whipple trucks make between 500-550RWHP well under the range limit.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine runs great shifts are spot on, and that's the first time I'm hearing that. Very strange.

Last edited:

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See I hate when people think they know something.
When Whipple first came out in 2012 with the kit they came with 63 lbs. injectors.
Now people started putting headers on and found out noone could Tune it.
Thanks to Whipple and

Have work finish later

might know a little? lol

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will be nice, but since you don't have any real world experience like i do! Just saying.
All I was getting at is that the Internet can be bad place to pick up info.
Especially when I here you heard it somewhere does not justify your comment.
But since JDM chimed in, I'm listening. I can't believe what hearing but I'm listening.
With literally thousands of very happy 700+ HP with the 60 lbs. running the streets and off-road. Something sure doesn't sound right.
And hopefully we can get to the bottom of these comments.

I've been around the forum a long time and always try to keep up with latest talk about anything Supercharger.
And I do keep in contact with quite a few Whippled Raptor owners, here in the States and overseas.
And yes this is the first time I have seen any comments like the ones you and JDM mentioned.
Especially with their lastest Ver. 2 Tune. which started rolling out last fall.

I was going add more comments to my last post but I had to work. I'll just continue here.
I find this very strange indeed, to my knowledge noone has complained about Whipple's 700 HP optional upgrade setup and Tune.
Whipple has sold thousands of these 700 HP Optional Upgrade Packages with the 60 lbs. injectors. Very strange indeed.

I mean honestly, with thousands of Raptor owners completely happy I just don't get the statements being made.

My first setup back in 2012 was with the #63 lbs. Great power!
Then Whipple talked me into going with the 47 lbs, I was not a fan!
Lost some of the top end power that the 63 lbs. were giving me. In my opinion!
Even Whipple said I was crazy at the time but I'm going by what I feel behind the wheel.

In any case I'm very happy camper again going back up to the new 60 lbs. injectors and the addition of the Twin 68 mm TB is outstanding.
It's basically what the 700 HP Shelby Raptors run, I haven't heard anything negative over there.
And 560 rwhp is easily obtainable with the right setup with a Whipple on a stock engine and stock exhaust.
I don't remember a Roush doing these numbers even with full headers and exhaust.

I'll give Whipple a shout about these comments, see if I get a respones.

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I will be nice, but since you don't have any real world experience like i do! Just saying.
All I was getting at is that the Internet can be bad place to pick up info.
Especially when I here you heard it somewhere does not justify your comment.
But since JDM chimed in, I'm listening. I can't believe what hearing but I'm listening.
With literally thousands of very happy 700+ HP with the 60 lbs. running the streets and off-road. Something sure doesn't sound right.
And hopefully we can get to the bottom of these comments.

I've been around the forum a long time and always try to keep up with latest talk about anything Supercharger.
And I do keep in contact with quite a few Whippled Raptor owners, here in the States and overseas.
And yes this is the first time I have seen any comments like the ones you and JDM mentioned.
Especially with their lastest Ver. 2 Tune. which started rolling out last fall.

I was going add more comments to my last post but I had to work. I'll just continue here.
I find this very strange indeed, to my knowledge noone has complained about Whipple's 700 HP optional upgrade setup and Tune.
Whipple has sold thousands of these 700 HP Optional Upgrade Packages with the 60 lbs. injectors. Very strange indeed.

I mean honestly, with thousands of Raptor owners completely happy I just don't get the statements being made.

My first setup back in 2012 was with the #63 lbs. Great power!
Then Whipple talked me into going with the 47 lbs, I was not a fan!
Lost some of the top end power that the 63 lbs. were giving me. In my opinion!
Even Whipple said I was crazy at the time but I'm going by what I feel behind the wheel.

In any case I'm very happy camper again going back up to the new 60 lbs. injectors and the addition of the Twin 68 mm TB is outstanding.
It's basically what the 700 HP Shelby Raptors run, I haven't heard anything negative over there.
And 560 rwhp is easily obtainable with the right setup with a Whipple on a stock engine and stock exhaust.
I don't remember a Roush doing these numbers even with full headers and exhaust.

I'll give Whipple a shout about these comments, see if I get a respones.

Thousands?? I don't think there is even 100, maybe 50 Raptors that are running a Whipple kit with 60#s and they're tune.

Whipple told us point blank we sell more Raptor blowers than any of there dealers combine! We order all our kits from them as tuner kits and send out 47# injectors and our tune. In our data base we have about 600 Raptor Supercharged customer tune files. Some of those are Roush but Id say at least half are Whipple.

Not everyone with a Whipple Raptor posts or interacts on this forum so it might be hard for you to keep up with who's happy with there 60# injector tunes. But I can tell you if I had to keep a count of how many times customers call us for complaints about driveability or want more power and switch to our injector and tune combination it has to happen at least 1-2 times per week.

As far as a power lose going from the 63#s to 47#s, injectors don't add or subtract power. Injectors need to be adequately sized to support the power your engine is making. As I stated before 47# injectors will support over 600 RWHP so you should have been well with in the range of that.

I don't think we would have a problem making 560 RWHP with a TVS I would take that bet but we don't want to push our customers that far because its a little on the edge...

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't make that number up and your right not everybody is on a social media.
And for me it's not about who's Tuning it, I just like Whipple.
But to say Whipple's Tune has drivability issues as a blank statement, in my honest opinion is just not true.

And I'm not attacking you, I'm 100% for shops like yours.
Also you know Gabriel (MetroNYC) and I talk all time, he is finally happy you took care of all his issuses and got his truck running right, he can't stop talking about the latest Tune you installed for him. So to me this means a lot, kudos for Team JDM!

If I were unhappy with my setup or Tune I would be paying you a visit, I've said that to you before.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm in this exact decision making process right now (Roush vs. Whipple). How do the kits compare? I know what Roush comes with - all sorts of things, exhaust, stickers, head rests, tune, gauge, etc etc - and I'm looking at about $9,600 out the door at my local shop. I haven't got a price on Whipple yet, but is it a kit like that, or will I be piecing it together? It'd be great to hear from someone who has driven both since I've driven neither.