Tuned or not? How to tell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Napp E Roots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 scab 5.4
I don't know if the truck had previously been tuned. It came with CAI and a borla exhaust. I can do 100+. I have a couple of times

Is there a way to tell if it has been tuned. I don't have a handheld

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've always wondered about this question. If you buy a vehicle that has a tune loaded onto it and the seller didn't tell anyone, how could you ever figure out which one it was?

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
one way i can always tell which particular tune i load on my truck is how high it idles at. i have 1 specific tune that idles at stock rpms. the others idle high enough over stock that it's noticeable to me. but, that's also me knowing what my truck sounds like tuned or not...i guess without knowing the stock idle offhand or other mods, it would be tough.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, if you buy a vehicle with a tune loaded in it, and you don't know which one it is, can you install another tune on top of it? I know with my tuner you basically return it to stock before changing tunes.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, if you buy a vehicle with a tune loaded in it, and you don't know which one it is, can you install another tune on top of it? I know with my tuner you basically return it to stock before changing tunes.

i don't think you can, i think you'd need to have the tuner married to the vehicle with the stock tune attached to bring it back to stock. i know the dealer can bring it back to stock but have to reload a new tune.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. So, if you take it to the dealer and have the tune removed, could they possibly deny any future issues because it had a tune?

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. So, if you take it to the dealer and have the tune removed, could they possibly deny any future issues because it had a tune?

hard to say i guess. it would depend on the dealer. if it was bought tuned and you didn't touch it, i'm sure you could probably just bring it back to the dealer and have them retune it. the warranty denial they'd have to prove the tune caused the failure, unless you bought it tuned already, then that's on them and they really can't deny the warranty. either way, don't trust the stealership haha.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I guess the main thing is that the dealership is capable of removing whatever tune is installed and return it to stock. Then you could load whatever other tune you'd want. That's what I would do for sure. Someone may have loaded some WILD tune that you may not want anyway......