2014 Raptor Transfer Case Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PropFlyr

Reaction score
Good morning,

I was curious if any one else has experienced transfer case issues on the 2014. My truck has been in the shop for a month as the dealer can not get a ring gear. Very disappointing response from Ford Motor Company as well, as they continue to say we'll follow back up with you in a week as I continue to drive the Focus loaner.

I'm surprised for a relatively new Raptor with 37,000 miles that it takes a month to get a part.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

The part number is F5TZ7A153A (Ring Gear).

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good morning,

I was curious if any one else has experienced transfer case issues on the 2014. My truck has been in the shop for a month as the dealer can not get a ring gear. Very disappointing response from Ford Motor Company as well, as they continue to say we'll follow back up with you in a week as I continue to drive the Focus loaner.

I'm surprised for a relatively new Raptor with 37,000 miles that it takes a month to get a part...

Welcome to the forum, PropFlyr; let's see what I can do to make things move a bit more quickly. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll dig into this a bit deeper.

Crystal

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I'm surprised for a relatively new Raptor with 37,000 miles that it takes a month to get a part.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

The part number is F5TZ7A153A (Ring Gear).

What's the issue with your transfer case? Mine's in the shop now. They are ordering parts for it.

OP
OP
P

PropFlyr

Reaction score
The truck would "whine" in 4WH, sounded like the whine of a turbo. After 1 week of replacing various parts and not fixing the issue they found metal in the transfer case oil and found two gears with teeth missing. The ring gear has been on back order for over 3 weeks and I'm told will not see it until end of Feb.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

What's the issue with your transfer case? Mine's in the shop now. They are ordering parts for it.

What is the issue with yours? What year and how many miles?

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck would "whine" in 4WH, sounded like the whine of a turbo. After 1 week of replacing various parts and not fixing the issue they found metal in the transfer case oil and found two gears with teeth missing. The ring gear has been on back order for over 3 weeks and I'm told will not see it until end of Feb.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

What is the issue with yours? What year and how many miles?

Lol! Same. 2014 with 16k miles. ******** mechanic (shop foreman, actually) at first dealership said it was normal. Second dealership is great. It's been with them a week, and they expect to finish Tuesday.

rjmcintosh59

Reaction score
2014 SE with 36,000 miles. 2H and 4H work fine, went into 4L and worked fine, went to get out of 4L and got stuck in neutral, then ground for about 30 seconds then BANG!! and it went back into 4H... several times, it goes in tomorrow to get fixed and see what is causing the problem in 4L

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope you're not driving while switching in and out of low, it's always good practice to come to a complete stop and preferable go into neutral then switch.
I know it's all electronic and all, but I've had 4x4s for 30 years it's just something I learned and stick with. If there is pressure against the gears it will bind and not shift correctly.
Even going into 4 HI I try and come to a stop or at least slow down to 30 or less, and coast with the throttle on and off.
I did it one time on the highway at 60 mph and while the dash said 4x4 HI, It did start making grinding noise when I gave it gas.

Keep in mind I can only launch in 4x4 Hi with my truck to get the full effect of the Supercharger. Unless I want roast tires even in two wheel diff locked.

Last edited:

rjmcintosh59

Reaction score
2014 Raptor will not let you. It makes you get in neutral and slow to 5mph or less.. even then if it is binding it will pause the shift and have you back up or pull forward...pretty idiot proof. And I have had Ford 4x4 trucks since 1976 , so pretty good at changing ranges too

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only problem I have ever really experienced has been when the VSC kicks in during 4x4 or 4x2 operation. It makes a weird modulating grinding sound, I am just thinking it is the computer making modulations on the drive train for a big truck. It is bound to make some strange noises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free