What do you run for Tire Pressure on/off road???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire Pressure Advice - Sand

Ok, I need some advice from you guys who regularly ride the desert sands. I'm getting ready to head to Silver Lake sand dunes in a couple of weeks. The park recommends 10 psi while running the dunes. This seems low to me. I don't need to break the bead doing a hard turn under power. In the motocross world I used to run 13 psi on my bike, but I had bead locks on the rims (and tubes in the tires). I'm thinking more like 20 psi for the Raptor. I can always go down, but what are you guys' thoughts? Please let me know what your recommendations are. Thanks!!

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start around 25... if you think you will bog go lower... use your traction aids.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
25psi may be a little high for dunes...I've been in small dunes a few times and I'm ok at 25 as long as I keep my speed up.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know I don't need to mention this but if you do need to go down to 10psi, drive carefully. The Raptor does pretty good in sand but it is a 6000lb truck and I would have the same worry about blowing a bead off the rim in a hard turn with the pressure that low.

I had my tires down to 28psi in some really soft dunes and while I didn't get stuck, I think it would have been better to drop the pressure more. Like others have said, you can try a higher pressure and then drop it as needed... 20 psi might be pretty good but I'd still be a little cautious about hard turns at speed.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I would be a little concerned about speed with tires that low... running more than 20 mph is going to start to put some serious heat and repeated stresses into the sidewall. Rubber does not like either of those and it could lead to premature tire wear or a blow out down the road.

In my younger days I destroyed a tire by running it at about 10-15 for a couple of miles at normal speeds... now granted it was an older tire and not as rugged as the AT but the principle is still the same...

OP
OP
JohntheDrummer

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess from reading all of these I should start at 25 psi and possibly take 'er down to 20 if needed. I want to see what my truck is capable of and I'm gonna jump it, that's a fact. I also want to see if all the hype is warranted for myself and damn it, I'm gonna flog this puppy!!! I already have my oil & filter on the work bench so I'll have fresh oil before I go. I want to be able to push it in all aspects of riding, so 25 seems like a decent starting point... Thanks to all who responded, and I also welcome more input from others!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ohhh John. I know you don't need a nanny and I aint gonna pretend to be your momma...

[nanny]
But I just gotta say... the trick in the dunes is NOT to jump it, you know, off like a ridge? PLEASE keep in mind these are six thousand pound behemoths. That's a LOT of weight to be landing, on soft unsure and unstable footing, with very low airpressure'd tires...
[/nanny]

Ok then, enough of that. Have a freaking blast! You're gonna love this truck. That's a guarantee.

OP
OP
JohntheDrummer

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that mean I shouldn't be the first to attempt the first Raptor back-flip?!? Awww maaannn!!! Seriously though, yeah common sense God did give me, and we planned to survey the whole area on the ATV's first to identify and familiarize ourselves with what areas to do what. I grew up on a dirt bike, so believe me I have had a taste of most things, but just on two wheels, not four. We will be taking lots of pics and video, so I should have lots to upload when we get back. We've watched PLENTY of you tube vids of others riding at Silver Lake Sand Dunes and already kind of know what to expect, so don't worry, I won't be flying off a 75 foot drop @ 85 mph. I have too many payments left anyway!!! I just want to get all four off the ground and get some good pics! I always say, "Keep 'er under 100 and ya should be ok." LOL.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could also try just running the stock pressures first... the Raptor really does very well in sand.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the very sandy trail in Arches at stock pressure... bogged a little but not too bad... just kept going at a decent speed...

The downside is that I ended up putting a ding in my front bumper when I hit a severe dip.

arch3.jpg

It is preety funny... a sign at one end of the 10 mile trail says due to flooding impassible during winter...

the other end says due to deep sand impassible in summer...