How To DIY Painted Edges on Taillights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks great! I'm going to have to find some down time to get this done. What was the best tool for cleaning all of the crud out from the crack? Just a razor blade?

jschell1309

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I'm going to have to find some down time to get this done. What was the best tool for cleaning all of the crud out from the crack? Just a razor blade?

I improvised for that one. A box cutter blade and small flat head were good for chipping the glue and getting most out. I bent a small nail to be able to really get into the back of the crack and get the rest out. A couple blasts of compressed air help too.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I improvised for that one. A box cutter blade and small flat head were good for chipping the glue and getting most out. I bent a small nail to be able to really get into the back of the crack and get the rest out. A couple blasts of compressed air help too.

Awesome! Thanks for all your input!

Bigdog44SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the easiest and least expensive mods that makes a huge difference in the trucks appearance. No idea why FORD wouldn't just do this out of the factory. Quality is always in the details.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So has anyone done this on a white or a light color truck?? Seems all the ones I've seen are dark colors.

I've done it on silver. Makes a noticeable difference for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprman

Reaction score
Just because i don't post much and figured i'd revive an old thread.

Best I have on my phone

Not sure that's what he meant by "silver". you have the black around the taillights so you did black. I think he means a complete white or silver color on the taillights.

As i have a white truck, i'd be interested as well, but from what i can see looking at mine, it won't really look as good on lighter trucks.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because i don't post much and figured i'd revive an old thread.

Not sure that's what he meant by "silver". you have the black around the taillights so you did black. I think he means a complete white or silver color on the taillights.

As i have a white truck, i'd be interested as well, but from what i can see looking at mine, it won't really look as good on lighter trucks.
Pic wasn’t referring to the wrap. I was showing the painted edge of the tail light as did post 79. Not the best reference since it’s next to the black wrap. Look at the edge of your tail light and you’ll notice the ugly clear plastic “ring” around the entire light contrasting with the red