My wet Roush Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Good grief!! Almost a year ago to the day I bought the best truck I have ever bought in my 44 years. That truck being a 2014 Roush Raptor. It has been amazing.. It rides great. It's fast. I not just handles mud but truly thrives in it. And i never get tired of the compliments. Its just bad ass..
So, 2 weekends back my girlfriend, her two daughters and my son all went hunting. I really nice place a client of mine was nice enough to invite us to.
We hunted without incident on Friday evening. I took her two girls to nice doe stand in a 4 wheeler they keep at the property and the GF took my son and herself to a different stand in my Raptor. No problem. I killed a doe and the evening was a first for the girls. Much fun. Next morning we decided to swap stands as my son was eager to capitalize on the easy picking of the doe stand.
So, in darkness we all set off. Just as I was getting myself and the girls settled in the stand I get a text from the GF. COME NOW.. I took a wrong turn and went into a pond. COME HELP.
Just a bad situation... See attached photo below... She merely rolled just the 2 front wheels into the water. But, in hind sight it was a steep drop off just a few feet from the shore. I was there within 10 minutes. Truck was still running. She freaked out and had put the truck in park and removed the key.. But... the truck was still running...
I jumped in... put my key in planning to put the raptor in 4WD and easily back it out... NOPE... NOTHING i did ever got the truck again to leave PARK. I could not turn the truck off. I raced about the property and quickly found and got a John Deere tractor... but that was all to no avail because there was not a single chain to be found.
As i was on the phone with a tow company the truck slowly slid further in and finally stopped running.
In short, the inside fuse box, because of the front to right lean became wet absurdly early on. A different argument for sure....
But, here is my question to all experts...
I have since had the truck towed to a local ford dealship. My insurance company went there and spent 15 minutes looming at the truck and called me said she was recommending a total loss. This is not what I wanted to hear. I want my truck back. As you guys all know.. this truck cant be so easily replaced. My adjuster agreed to have Ford do a tear down and allow them to do a more extensive review of damage. I'm almost certain the engine is ok. It stopped running because the electrics shorted out. The intake filter was dry. Engine oil appears to be fine. So unless water entered the engine through the exhaust I feel confident the engine is aok.
I'd like to hear any input from you guys on any water damage history you are familiar with. Am i being a fool to push to get my truck back instead of allowing a total loss?

Attachments

• RRaptor.jpg
    RRaptor.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 228

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He was just recommending another forum member to look at this. Was this as far as the truck slipped in before it shut off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry. Missed that! A rookie I am!
Yes, that pic was taken 3 hours after the incident just before a wrecker pulled it out.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

The girlfriend questions is yet to be determined!! She's a good girl though and has bank enough to fix this many times over! :)

D

Deleted member 12951

Even if the engine was toast, its not a total loss. I am going through a situation with insurance and the adjuster had no clue on what these are going for. He wanted to claim a total loss on mine and said these are like $30k. I told him he was absolutely wrong. I have new car replacement and said then go find me a new replacement or I would even take a comparable used one with same to close mileage and year. Got a call the next day and said we are fixing the truck and had no idea what they cost. He thought it was just a fancy F-150. My total bill will be $15-$20k. Your truck is worth $50k give or take. Don't think your insurance adjuster has a clue.

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think your insurance adjuster has a clue.

+1

I recently dealt with a total loss and my adjuster had no idea what the Raptor was. He argued that it was a "typical F-150 with aftermarket suspension and body work" which wouldn't be covered. I was eventually able to get the correct value assigned to the truck and had no problem with them totaling it once we agreed on the settlement figure. Repair quote was approximately $30k so it wouldn't have made sense to rebuild being a 2011.

@lesharleyroushraptor , If you really love the truck and can't find a similar replacement, I would push for it to be rebuilt. Just be sure they check/replace every single component that could have been affected.

Raptor_Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had a run in with the insurance claim on my raptor. I banged in my front bumper messing around. Claimed it and he told me it was only a $200 dollar bumper. I asked him he look up regular F-150 or the raptor F-150. Later he called back saying that it was more of a $1,200 bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free