Revolver X2 Install / Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I had been wanting to upgrade to a hard tonneau for a while, but had been waiting for the right one to come along. When the Revolver X2 was announced, that sounded like exactly what I had been looking for. I really like the hard roll up covers over the folding covers because I prefer the aesthetics (no hinge lines) and you can still see out of the back window when the cover is open. I got the opportunity to give it a shot in cooperation with one of our vendors TruckMods.com - Truck & SUV Performance Parts & Accessory Experts. I got great service as well as follow-up to make sure I got everything from Morrie himself.

Here is a link to the cover on their site: BAK Industries, Truck Bed Cover, 39309 - TruckMods. One note, the site says this is not the one for the Raptor, but this is the correct one as they are sized based on the bed length, not the sub-model / trim level.

Installation:
Installation was very straight forward and I used the instructions provided online (Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover Installation Instructions Ford F150). One tip that I found helpful was to use a pair QuickGrip clamps to help position the rails while I installed the c-clamps.

Here are a couple of shots of it installed:
IMG_20150725_123126.jpg

IMG_20150725_123140.jpg

A shot showing the size rolled up and the rail:
IMG_20150725_123319.jpg

Here is the latching rail in the latched position (more on that later):
IMG_20150725_123329.jpg

Rolled up:
IMG_20150725_123310.jpg

Rolled up with the retaining strap:
IMG_20150725_123358.jpg

One issue that several folks had at TRR last year was the cover popping up. Take a look at the pic of latching rail above. Looking at how the X2 latches, there is a lot of engagement with the cover (it was also specifically mentioned as an upgrade in the new design), I think those issues have been solved. I will let you know following Raptoberfest (unless I miraculously get to hit the trails before then).

In the pics you will notice a little water. I washed my truck using a pressure washer (delicate nozzle) and then hose before taking the pics. The only place water got in the bed was the corner of the tailgate, which is not sealed. Everything else was completely dry.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the cover. I will provide updates from time to time.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey will, another issue i had was when the cover was rolled up, the vibration and shaking cause the rubber sides to wear through the vinyl top. causing tears on both sides. any reinforcement there?

D

Deleted member 12951

Interested in the new latching mechanism. What I found to be the problem with the previous version even after modding it per Morrie by moving the latches out further was bed sides spread when offroading. That was mainly what caused it to pop loose. Once I installed bed stabilizers, that resolved the issue.

So what's different?
(Of course you said more later so just waiting)

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
hey will, another issue i had was when the cover was rolled up, the vibration and shaking cause the rubber sides to wear through the vinyl top. causing tears on both sides. any reinforcement there?
I am not quite following you. Have any pics? And it was from off-roading with the cover rolled up?

Interested in the new latching mechanism. What I found to be the problem with the previous version even after modding it per Morrie by moving the latches out further was bed sides spread when offroading. That was mainly what caused it to pop loose. Once I installed bed stabilizers, that resolved the issue.

So what's different?
(Of course you said more later so just waiting)
The specific issue I was referring to was for the folks that had their covers pop up in the middle. The latches can only accommodate a certain amount of bed spread practically. Once you get past a certain point, I don't think that any bed cover would stay latched without adding stabilizers.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not quite following you. Have any pics? And it was from off-roading with the cover rolled up?

The specific issue I was referring to was for the folks that had their covers pop up in the middle. The latches can only accommodate a certain amount of bed spread practically. Once you get past a certain point, I don't think that any bed cover would stay latched without adding stabilizers.
i dont have any pics right now, but yes, its when the cover was rolled up. the rubber feet where the locking mechanism hooks onto rubbed a hole through the vinyl top. you can see where they make contact towards the front of the bed. and its only that spot because the weight of the cover is directly above it and the latches on the previous model didnt hold the cover tight enough, and there was no reinforcing in the vinyl material. i am just wondering if there were any improvements to it. but looking at them in better detail now, i dont think there is.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I took some more pictures that might help answer some of the questions.

Here is a pic showing the amount of latch engagement (it was equal on both sides, but I am only showing the pic of one side):
NEW:
IMG_20150730_081958.jpg

In addition, there is adjustment range left to accommodate some amount of bed spread (my bad on the angle, only one of the two adjustment screws is shown):
NEW:
IMG_20150730_082010.jpg

One other thing to note, the strike plates are now non-adjustable. Compare the two pics above to this one from BIRDMAN's review of the Roll-X v2:
OLD:
roll-x-rail-2_zps6fadff61.jpg

Another change I noted. The strap that secures the cover when rolled up attaches and connects completely different. The new version looks to be more robust. Where the strap attaches to the rail on RX V2:
OLD:
roll-xrail_zpsacf09dd0.jpg

And now on Revolver X2:
NEW:
IMG_20150730_082108.jpg

The buckle mounting is also completely different. The female portion of the buckle was previously attached with a strap and is now hard mounted.
RX V2:
OLD:
DSC00970_zpsb9ca0dc1.jpg

Revolver X2:
NEW:
IMG_20150725_123358.jpg

Here is a link to Bird's comparisons of the Roll-X V1 and V2:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/bak-roll-x-install-review-21509/index5.html#post522058

Last edited:
OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Update:
So after having the cover for over four months, I thought I would give ya'll an update. The only issue that I have had is getting the bed cover adjusted fore and aft to get the seal to contact the tailgate properly. The method I used deviates from the installation instructions. The instructions have you seat the cover all of the way forward against the bed rails. This is too far forward to get a good seal on the tailgate. I loosened the bolts and slid the cover aft until the contact was the way that I thought it should be. Then I re-tightened the bolts. It took a couple of iterations to get it the way I wanted it. I have had no issues with leaks and drove home from Thanksgiving vacation in rain the whole way (varied from light to very heavy) with no leaks.

Overall, everything is working great.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Update:
Bed cover is still holding up great. I got a chance to take my truck out a couple of times at TRR and there were no issues.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good updates! I have the same cover and I have a leak at the right front corner but that may be because a small gap in the foam gasket tape you put on the top edge of the bed at the front, my fault for cutting to short

One other issue is if you run in a very muddy environment (Phoenix open) mud gets in all those engagement points and in the long locking slat. It has been leaking each time it rains even though I have wiped out the track lots of times. Next time I will take of the rails and hose them out to save some time and aggravation.

One thing I can't do that I could when I had my folding F1 is drive with it 1/3 open it's all the way open or closed. I really like the way this cover looks and for the most part how it works better then my F1 but both are very good and each has its pros and cons.