Raptor - Moab Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After a recent road trip I led to Moab, Utah, I wondered "is there anything for us Raptor Owners?" As some of you know, Moab is considered mostly Jeep territory. There is a LOT of crawler trails and if you have ever been there you will see Jeeps everywhere.

This leads me to this post. Would the community like to do an organized trip to Moab, Utah to see the sites, explore some amazing trails, and hang out? Target date would be in 2017. The reason for being so far out is to allow time to pre-run the trails to confirm conditions. As many of us do not live close to Moab, I am asking if forum members would be willing to verify mapped trails when they are in the area. The event is planned in regards to logistics, accommodations, and dinning.

Below is the map of all the trails I have found that should be Raptor Friendly. Famous trails such as Poison Spider, Hells Revenge, and others were not included in the map as really not Raptor friendly, even though we could do them it is not where we were built to go.

The trails have been broken down by region and can be download on the Utah section of the Road Adventures website - Moab mapped trails for Raptors

Blue line – main line trails that should be mostly fast trails

Orange line – mix of fast and slow

Red Line – Will be slow, probably crawler trails

Green Line – Paved routes to get around the region

Note: The map files have sights, visible hazards, and fuel mapped which are not in the image. Having these items turned on makes for a very cluttered image.

Moab-Map.jpg
@The Macf

Last edited:

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Moab has been on my bucket list for a long time. If we can map out enough to justify the drive, the fam and I will be in.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should be easy enough. I'll have a bunch of free time between feb and apr 16. I'd recommend March or April of 17 for the run.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dates of the event right now are TBD. Issue is to time it before monsoons and also so families can attend

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me know if you need me to tweak the maps or if you want me to email you the Google earth files to pre-run digitally.

Most of the trails near Moab are mixed speed. White rim trail is one that promises to be fun as you are right on the cliff edge.

The longest fast trail are on the west side of green river.

Canyon lands does have some great fast scenario but as you get closer to needles it gets crawler.

Admins moved this so being here I am afraid it will not get as much traffic as if in general as right now it is not a event just discussion / community effort.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We've been talking about doing this since the pre run we did in February of this year. The only advice I can give is to schedule it prior to the first Jeep week. All the motel prices triple (or more) and the population more than doubles. I've also got some trail advice from what we did if interested. Keep us updated on dates. We are in for sure.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We've been talking about doing this since the pre run we did in February of this year. The only advice I can give is to schedule it prior to the first Jeep week. All the motel prices triple (or more) and the population more than doubles. I've also got some trail advice from what we did if interested. Keep us updated on dates. We are in for sure.

Yes please share any data you have. Best way is probably email.

Send routes, trail info and other you have done to [email protected]

I have already spoken to the hotels I used for my road trip I lead there and working out pricing. So the rates I have are very reasonable as I brought 18 vehicles already once and I am sure we will have more this time around.

2017 also allows the new raptors to get out and dirty =)

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 years worth of GPS data from my trips to Moab in the Raptor on Motion X. I am unable to get to my Ipad for a few weeks but when I get it back if your interested I am happy to share.

The Moab offroad book was invaluable for finding off the beaten path trails.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 2 years worth of GPS data from my trips to Moab in the Raptor on Motion X. I am unable to get to my Ipad for a few weeks but when I get it back if your interested I am happy to share.

The Moab offroad book was invaluable for finding off the beaten path trails.

If you would be so kind to share roads you have been on that would be great. GPX format is fine as I can convert it or whatever as long as not native motion X.

I found a lot of sites that shared GPX files but most were "crawler" trails. I am not a fan of slow trails or bouncing over rocks but that is me.

Most of the trail and books are for trails East of Green River towards Moab I noticed. There was no trails West of green river so I had to find those on my own. I did not map every trail I saw as that would have taken forever. I mapped trails that took us to see something and or looked fun even with some crawling sections.