Base Camp Trailer build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is where I'll document the build of a trailer based camping HQ.

Purpose: we love tent camping in remote areas. We thought about getting a slide in, but they are tiny inside and I don't like the idea of having a house on the back of the truck for performance and style reasons, not to mention they are fairly expensive and the ones that fit the Raptor don't offer a shower. What I hope to create is a camping Base Camp that I can easily tow to remote areas that will support us while we're off the grid.

Budget: $9k

The plan:

Base: M101 (1991) military trailer 3500 lb off-road capacity. Needs electric brakes, raptor wheels, spares, rack for tent,

Propane - support cooking and hot water, possibly generator.

Electric - power lights, plugins, fridge, water pump, possibly rechargeable via solar, shore power, deep cell batteries

Water - ample potable water for cooking, showers, drinking, hand washing

Tent - rack mounted fold out tent for 3+ campers

Air - ability to run power tools and potentially a train horn.

Galley - sink, stove, fridge, grille

Storage - chairs, camping misc

---------- Post added at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 AM ----------

Day 1

Bought raptor wheels, $1600

Bought the M101 trailer full of tube steel $500

Drug it from Seattle to Portland

aae8151e11842b15214df0dd6e4caca3.jpg

a7930426732ce9f058f6da2480c67939.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

Day 6
Got the rack on a killer deal Thule X sporter multi height retail $740 on sale $591

Sold the steel in the trailer for a total of $128.40

Power washed the trailer and removed the top rack.

067c9e7bb0f04de7364af6fb2393881a.jpg

Last edited:

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sub'd. Looking forward to seeing this completed.......I was just looking at these trailers on Craigslist 2 hours ago for this same purpose.

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Subscribed. Have you found an axle? I'm building something similar myself. Keep in mind your lugs on the right side are going to be reverse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently getting an axle with 6x135 hubs is like finding a leprechaun. Calling a guy in the am to see if he can MAKE me one. Worst case, I can leave the military axle under it or go with a genetic axle. BUT I WANT RAPTOR WHEELS!! :) We'll see how it goes.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently getting an axle with 6x135 hubs is like finding a leprechaun. Calling a guy in the am to see if he can MAKE me one. Worst case, I can leave the military axle under it or go with a genetic axle. BUT I WANT RAPTOR WHEELS!! :) We'll see how it goes.

I was wondering about that. The hubs on the military axles look to have a much larger diameter than the center hole on the Raptor wheels.

One upside of a new axle would be the possibility of building it so the trailer follows the same track width of the Raptor...joe