Changing Tranny Fluid...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be dropping the pan and replacing fluid and filter in transmission. How much fluid will I need? Does everything drain by itself by just dropping pan or does some fluid remain in cooler lines and torque converter? Can I fill all at once, or fill, run, and recheck filling again? when checking dipstick at end, should engine be running or off?

I know its next to cat and I will burn myself...

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a definite procedure - a cold fluid level check and then a hot fluid level check. Do it wrong and the chances of spilling your expensive new transmission fluid on the garage floor are pretty good. [email protected] can help you with both the fluid and the procedure.

OP
OP
whoisbigman

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... done. I got around to changing out the transmission fluid and filter today. I went and got fluid and filter from dealership, 1 filter and 12 quarts of fluid, $108.00. Less than I expected. The first thing I did was review some previous threads on here for information and watched a YouTube video, both helpful. I would have figured it out otherwise, might have made a bigger mess.
First, truck was in garage, on floor, no lift or stands. Transmission needs to be warm and exhaust needs to be HELLFIRE HOT so that all skin on hands can be thoroughly cooked. I Used a big pan, and a oil capture pan on top of that and still got some fluid on floor. Loosen dipstick bolt, then side bolts were removed, then ends, leaving corners in place. Then slowly removed rear corners, first loosening, then removing. When fluid starts to trickle out, STOP! and let fluid trickle out slowly. if you go too fast, fluid goes everywhere. As it is, fluid runs over cross member and exhaust. When flow begins to slow, remove rear corner bolts all the way. then slowly remove front bolts, holding pan up. Slowly lower pan and prepare for old filter to drop into pan with a splash.
Now clean off pan and gasket (reusable gasket), and clean magnet. Wipe off bottom edge of tranny and prepare to reinstall new filter and pan. I put filter on and held pan up, put 4 bolts in loosely and then finger tight. Put in rest of bolts, finger tight, then criss cross tightened to 98 in/lbs.
Now new fluid goes in. I used a hand pump that screws onto each little quart of fluid. Each little quart of fluid required 180 strokes of the pump to empty into tranny. Transmission was full when I started and I had drained 6 quarts of fluid when pan was dropped and done dripping. I replaced 5 1/2 quarts and overflowed hole. I slowly drove around the community and rechecked when fluid and tranny got warm and added another quart + bringing the total to 6 3/4 quarts of fluid.
Truck seems to shift smoother, but that may be because I babied it around after change to break in fluid.
The End... 2 hours including the watching of video and allowing tranny to drip out.
FordTechMakuloco video on YouTube was awesome.
I have 5+ quarts of fluid left to follow up again after fluid has circulated to get out more of the old fluid.
Job was fairly straight forward and easy with normal garage tools and lots of rags.

_20150604_153510.jpg

_20150604_153535.jpg

_20150604_153601.jpg

_20150604_153621.jpg

IMG_20150604_085109943.jpg

OP
OP
whoisbigman

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably... but I could switch out about half the fluid every 5000 miles for what they charge and all the leaks and crap they would tell me wasn't their fault. I don't let those animals near my truck unless I absolutely have to. I'm thinking in the future, I will get an aftermarket pan with a drain and make a fill tube that will run up the side of the engine out of braided steel.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Excellent thread. Thanks for posting receipt as well. I'm looking at doing this over the weekend. I did some price comps for fluid around me and the dealers here are charging ~$8 per quart!!! **** that... I checked ebay and found a guy selling 12 qts for $60 shipping included. I'll be double checking that everything is in sealed bottles when it arrives.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late to flush transmission?

So I need some tranny advice. I screwed up and got wrong information about when to flush the trans and didn't realize it...long story short I have 110k on the truck and have not changed the fluid. Do I dare change without flushing just new oil/filter or just new filter or should I even touch it and start saving for a new one? One Ford mechanic said not to touch it it's to late to do anything but I don't know if I trust him. It was another Ford mechanic that told me it didn't need it until 100k. Who do I trust any input on what I should do?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I need some tranny advice. I screwed up and got wrong information about when to flush the trans and didn't realize it...long story short I have 110k on the truck and have not changed the fluid. Do I dare change without flushing just new oil/filter or just new filter or should I even touch it and start saving for a new one? One Ford mechanic said not to touch it it's to late to do anything but I don't know if I trust him. It was another Ford mechanic that told me it didn't need it until 100k. Who do I trust any input on what I should do?

Are you just changing it because of the mileage?