Putting on 37s, do i need to change the gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayzwill

Reaction score
So, I am about to put 37s on the truck with 17x8.5 method wheels. I was wondering if it is a necessary thing to change the gears or is it ok to stay with the stock gears in my 14 Raptor?

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I am about to put 37s on the truck with 17x8.5 method wheels. I was wondering if it is a necessary thing to change the gears or is it ok to stay with the stock gears in my 14 Raptor?

depends on how you're planning on using it, i did mine regardless and ended up with glass fenders and liners as well. you'll lose some power with the 37s, depending on the brand / model, you may lose a little more. i'm also guessing your offset is 0....you'll definitely rub at full lock...you'll want to trim and or bust in the pinch welds and go midperch to give you some room to breath...

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don't need to upgrade the gears but I would recommend at least 4.56, I went 4.88 and I'm pretty happy

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not need to change gears. Do the adjustments that slim suggested although I will tell you that I have 37 bfg's at's(a little smaller than some 37's) and at mid=perch and made no adjustments. I do some off-roading at my ranch, but nothing crazy. You might see a little power loss. I am SC so, I noticed just a slight bit. I am thinking of changing gears as well. From my research if you want a really quick truck off the line do the 4.88's. Anything higher seems a bit much on the top end. Rpm's too high in highway driving.

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 37's and I have regeared but I think it's all about where you live and how you drive. You can do the 37's then go from there. That what I would recommend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free