Shaking tires? Sandbags to even out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorwarrior

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got some method standards and goodyear mtr's installed. Really happy with the look and how quiet the tires are.

Everything was great until I got on the high way. At about 60MPH the truck was shaking all over the place. My initial thought was that they must have miss-balanced my tires right?

I called the guy that did the mount and balance and he said the following:

"The MTRs have sandbags in them and if you drive on it for a little bit the bags will even themselves out and the vibrations will go away."

I am not a tire expert, but this seems wrong.. Any thoughts guys??

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's a method of balancing tires that uses a media inside the tire such as sand or pellets instead of weights attached to the wheel. The balancing media does not come in the tires, so if it's in your tire assembly it means that it was put there by whoever mounted them on the wheels. It's not unheard of for this method to be used with larger tires, but I've never heard of people having luck with it; I tried it once and it didn't work for me. I would take them back to have the sand removed and have them balanced conventionally. Good luck with those MTRs... I had a set on a truck which turned into multiple sets due to prorated warranty replacement from Goodyear because they kept shaking, wobbling, wouldn't balance, broken belts, etc. and finally sold them dirt cheap on Craigslist with the disclaimer that they were the worst tires I ever owned. This is possibly why your tire shop attempted to balance them with sand.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
warned you in your original thread. get the sandbags out and have them road forced balanced or a specialty 4x4 shop. mine did the same, they added more beads and then the shake was at 70mph. krazy house cleaned mine out and rebalanced,,,,,they were perfect after that. they just got too noisey. good luck....they balance eventually, and it take a lot of weight.

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used "sand bags" on dozens of sets of tires and they work great. I have them in my 37s now. They work best on larger tires because larger tires usually require more weights than smaller tires so unless you want a big hunk of lead on your 49' Iroks, you use media bags. When they first came out, we would put the whole bag, unopened, in the tire. After several miles, the bag would open and disintegrate. But those first few miles would be rough. Now I tear the bags open and just put in the media.

The only problems you should have with the media, if the right amount was installed and the bags were opened, is sometimes when you hit a large bump or rut, it will disrupt the media and your tire will be out of balance momentarily. This would be annoying on woops or off road, but on the street, the tires should ride awesome.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

The truck in my sig has 20" of lift and 46" Mickey Thompsons with media bags in them. It drives straight, smooth, and has no problems at any speed and I've gone 80 on the highway.

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used "sand bags" on dozens of sets of tires and they work great. I have them in my 37s now. They work best on larger tires because larger tires usually require more weights than smaller tires so unless you want a big hunk of lead on your 49' Iroks, you use media bags. When they first came out, we would put the whole bag, unopened, in the tire. After several miles, the bag would open and disintegrate. But those first few miles would be rough. Now I tear the bags open and just put in the media.

The only problems you should have with the media, if the right amount was installed and the bags were opened, is sometimes when you hit a large bump or rut, it will disrupt the media and your tire will be out of balance momentarily. This would be annoying on woops or off road, but on the street, the tires should ride awesome.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

The truck in my sig has 20" of lift and 46" Mickey Thompsons with media bags in them. It drives straight, smooth, and has no problems at any speed and I've gone 80 on the highway.

^This.

I've used Dynabeads (and similar product) in all of my off road tire applications for balancing and they work great. However, as stated above, the installing technician has to know what they are doing and the right amount of beads to add to each tire. Too little and they don't spread around the tire enough to balance...too much and the excess will collect and throw off balance at speed. I will never use clamp/stick on weights again for large diameter tires.