Thoughts on capless gas fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I've never seen any dirt in there and i get the truck dirty all the time. I did however lose the stupid funnel that you need to fill it with a 5 gallon gas can. I would much rather have the old design. Nothing worse than being out in the middle of nowhere with 30 gallons of gas in the bed and no way to get it in the truck...

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had no problems with mine. It doesn't get dirty in there, there's nothing to misplace or forget, no gas cap dangling on the end of a string, one less thing to fool with at the gas station... I like the thing!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had no problems with mine. It doesn't get dirty in there, there's nothing to misplace or forget, no gas cap dangling on the end of a string, one less thing to fool with at the gas station... I like the thing!

So... ya know how when you get your emissions done (at least in Colorado), one of the tests is the gas cap seal? What do they do with the Raptor?

I'm a little scared as to potential costs if they manage to find something wrong with the seal.

The Raptor hasn't been around long enough for anyone to really know, since you get a four year exemption on new vehicles here.

Thoughts? Is the cap you can buy a fully sealing one, or just a keep crap out of there one? :shocked:

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've not had any problems with either of my trucks.
Nothing worse than being out in the middle of nowhere with 30 gallons of gas in the bed and no way to get it in the truck...
If you're in the middle of nowhere and can't figure out a way to get gas in there, you got more problems than being out of gas! I can open the fuel filler nozzle lock thing with my finger and a butterknife. There is just two little nubs that need to be pushed in and it opens.

Hell, disconnect the fuel filler line, dump in the gas and reconnect. Done.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I've not had any problems with either of my trucks.

If you're in the middle of nowhere and can't figure out a way to get gas in there, you got more problems than being out of gas! I can open the fuel filler nozzle lock thing with my finger and a butterknife. There is just two little nubs that need to be pushed in and it opens.

Hell, disconnect the fuel filler line, dump in the gas and reconnect. Done.

I can get it open with my finger and a butterknife too, but then I have to insert the nozzle of the gas can. I was going to take the whole assembly off but I rigged up a way to fill it with a highlighter pen and zip tie.

My point was it adds 1 more potential problem for no added benefit. My motto has always been if it's not broke don't fix it.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't find much dirt in mine which surprises me. It's handy but in the Raptors case, where its going to live in the dirt, I think its a bad idea. The fuel filter is in tank on these trucks, nothing serviceable like you'd typically find on an older F150. The longevity of the new system is still up in the air. All the new Fords are using it now, and some models have for some time. For testing, the emission place will just run an Evaporative system leak test through the PCM I would imagine. But the CEL will come on before that if there is a leaky seal, so what they're doing checking the Evap system is redundant anyways.

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a capless tank but the common sense side of me wants to keep any possibility of contaments out of the tank. I live in a Metro area and don't even like the idea of young punks dropping stuff in the tank for kicks. Ford makes what is a small keyed cap - They call it a gas plug filler cap- and it ran me about $25.00 from the dealer. Ford part number 8U5Z-9C268-B. Hope this helps.

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was just a suggestion for those who may seriously be concerned about this situation. Sorry if it's off tangent.

I meant that the capless filler was an answer to a problem that never existed.

It's funny that they sell a cap for it.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I guess its a non issue? It just goes against logic. Here we have an off road vehicle that is potentially subjected to lots of dirt and dust, so lets not put a gas cap on it. It sounds like an idea from the fuel filter sales guy. :waytogo:

unfortunately as mentioned, there are no external fuel filters, just the in-tank filters. I'm surprised no vendor has come up with an in-line filter setup. Probably a mod I'll add onto mine. I really don't see how filter technology has gotten THAT good for the pump pre-filters that it negates the need for one after the pump. I'd think it'd limit the life of the injectors before they're clogged up. Anybody know if there's a service life on the in-tank filters when they should be changed? 100k miles? 150k? Seems odd Ford went from 30k service interval on an in-line fuel filter to no filter required at all.

I've never seen any dirt in there and i get the truck dirty all the time. I did however lose the stupid funnel that you need to fill it with a 5 gallon gas can. I would much rather have the old design. Nothing worse than being out in the middle of nowhere with 30 gallons of gas in the bed and no way to get it in the truck...

easy enough to bypass and pop open as mentioned, and just stick the gas spout in the filler neck or a funnel and it's open for fillup. Or just don't loose the special funnel made to open it. Kind of like losing the key for locking lugs. There's a purpose and an advantage, but don't loose the key. Same with the ignition and the truck having a key lol. There's a purpose and advantage over no keys required, so nobody walks up and jacks your chit, just don't loose the key :ROFLJest:

My point was it adds 1 more potential problem for no added benefit. My motto has always been if it's not broke don't fix it.

The 5.4 wasn't broken, why create a 6.2? Oh thats right, improvement, staying on top of the curve, something Ford's been pretty good at which has kept them on the top. There is added benefit for a capless fuel system, you just can't be too naive (sp?). It's faster/easier at the pump (yeah not night and day, but it does cut out a step prior to pumping and a step after pumping, and for something done so frequently, it is a benefit). It automatically locks but requires no key to open with a gas nozzle (yeah they probably could have combined it with a cap, but again, see the last sentence). And it's 1 less part to drop, get lost, fall down and chip the paint. No benefit you say? Maybe not in your opinion, but looking at the big picture, there are advantages.

I like the idea of a capless tank but the common sense side of me wants to keep any possibility of contaments out of the tank. I live in a Metro area and don't even like the idea of young punks dropping stuff in the tank for kicks. Ford makes what is a small keyed cap - They call it a gas plug filler cap- and it ran me about $25.00 from the dealer. Ford part number 8U5Z-9C268-B. Hope this helps.

Whether the tank is capless or not doesn't have anything to do with young punks putting stuff in the tank. It's actually 1 step more on preventing that since it requires the special funnel, a fuel nozzle, or some finger trick work to open it, which unless someone is familiar with it, they more than likey won't figure out how to bypass it. Nothing stops them from unscrewing a standard gas cap and dumping stuff in. And you can get a locking setup for either style. Moot point on tampering.

I meant that the capless filler was an answer to a problem that never existed.

It's funny that they sell a cap for it.

It's a locking cap, not a regular cap. Not quite sure what the funny part is. And as I mentioned above, the design does have benefits, so it was an improvement and has its advantages. Don't really see where Ford went wrong with it :?