Bouncing off the Rev limiter (problems)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gorelaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I came across this old video of this Blue beast jumping insane hoops and driving in 2x4 all the time. I noticed he has his raptor cutting-off the rev limiter several times, how is that possible? I thought its limited to 5900 rpm by factory settings. Is it a tune thing or a mod that you install to make your truck do that?

And whats the downside of doing that to my truck? it sure sounds awesome for sand drifting, but will be a shame if it causes alot of problems to the engine in the long run (or short).

Here is the video to show you what Im trying to explain, enjoy! especially on the 0:45 mark

Last edited:

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've banged the chip more times then I can count. Its there to protect from going beyond what ford determined safe for our motors. The truck in the video sounds like its hitting the chip under load where he is scrubbing off speed. It sounds a lot different then when hitting it in a strait line.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I love my rev limiter on my 5 star tune. It pops and crackles and spits and scares the shit out of people especially in a tunnel!

I love the sound of it and if I'm shifting in manual sometimes when I'm either coming out of a slide or right in the middle

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I have Livernois tune my ProCharged Raptor it was moved up to 6100. I was originally a little worried about it hitting it with the cast pistons but playing in the dunes I have bounced off of it many times per day. When hill climbing I usually try to keep it at around 5600 to 5800 as it really likes that but when getting lose it hits the limiter. It sounds funny on the ProCharged truck because it also dumps the boost with the blow off valve, so people on top of the hill say it sounds like it is sneezing. Only problem I think it has caused is some belt issues with the supercharger trying to run over the belt when the RPM's come down.

OP
OP
Gorelaz

Gorelaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my rev limiter on my 5 star tune. It pops and crackles and spits and scares the shit out of people especially in a tunnel!

I love the sound of it and if I'm shifting in manual sometimes when I'm either coming out of a slide or right in the middle

So this is a tune matter from what I understand? if I go and buy the 5 star tune I'm gonna hear that "spitting" on my truck? that's cool

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
So this is a tune matter from what I understand? if I go and buy the 5 star tune I'm gonna hear that "spitting" on my truck? that's cool

I do have a decently aggressive exhaust. And I'm guess the reason mine crackles like it does and sounds so good is that the tune is for stock flow exhaust. Being as I have an electronic cutout right after the resonator, I still have a even sounding exhaust that sounds great on the over run and when you stomp on it. I can upload a video or two on my YouTube, "raptor custom embroidery" if you'd like to hear what I'm talking about. I'm also on instagram and the 2nd video on my instagram is a video of a few revs and my limiter. Search: @calder_g16

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gorelaz

Gorelaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a decently aggressive exhaust. And I'm guess the reason mine crackles like it does and sounds so good is that the tune is for stock flow exhaust. Being as I have an electronic cutout right after the resonator, I still have a even sounding exhaust that sounds great on the over run and when you stomp on it. I can upload a video or two on my YouTube, "raptor custom embroidery" if you'd like to hear what I'm talking about. I'm also on instagram and the 2nd video on my instagram is a video of a few revs and my limiter. Search: @calder_g16

I did go on your instagram, and yeah it sounds sick! now I'm gonna research more on the 5 star tunes.

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock tune and bounce off the limiter all the time offroad. It will only bounce off the limiter, when engine speed is building rapidly, and the motor is under load.

raptor_qatar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I came across this old video of this Blue beast jumping insane hoops and driving in 2x4 all the time. I noticed he has his raptor cutting-off the rev limiter several times, how is that possible? I thought its limited to 5900 rpm by factory settings. Is it a tune thing or a mod that you install to make your truck do that?

And whats the downside of doing that to my truck? it sure sounds awesome for sand drifting, but will be a shame if it causes alot of problems to the engine in the long run (or short).

Here is the video to show you what Im trying to explain, enjoy! especially on the 0:45 mark
Is this what you mean?
Custom tune by my local garage (Garage Supercharge) by Hovig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi_RoHYoNrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr_xURsHXzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJWavpPO3EY

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the rumor is is that guy was going through a divorce so he was purposely beating the shit out of that truck cuz he was going to end up loosing the truck to the ex wife.