New truck, blown hose!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RazorSharpe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it! I join FRF and the next day I get my first Raptor malfunction. So my Tacoma-driving friend wanted to drive around some steep hills near our houses and it would be the first non-asphalt driving my truck has done (it's only got 2.5k miles!). Not even halfway into it I get a tell-tale antifreeze smell shortly followed by hot temp warning on the center display. Pop the hood and the bay is drenched in coolant, thanks to a decoupled hose to the immediate left of the alternator. It looks like it's missing a hose clamp. Luckily I had some water and dumped it in the radiator (when it cooled off)- it took over a gallon and wanted more. It got home just fine with no more high temp. Trip to a dealer tomorrow.

Obviously I'm concerned about damage to my brand spanking new engine. Wide open and wanting some input /consoling!

Attachments

• 20140917_180556.jpg
    20140917_180556.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 106

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you raise hell and get a 100mile warranty for the engine. There's a member here that works for Ford and lurks behind the scenes but often reaches out to help solve these type of issues.

OP
OP
RazorSharpe

RazorSharpe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can do! It's first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully that member will catch this one too, I could use some reassurance. I'm going to lose it if there's damage from a loose hose. Btw, nice color! I've noticed there aren't many terrains around.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would think the engine is fine. You stopped right away, and did everything right, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Definitely go to the dealer and get new coolant and fix the hose. Tell them to change the oil for free too since the engine overheated. They shouldn't even question you with that.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree. Sounds like you know what you're doing and you stopped before any damage was done. Another guy on here had a lower hose come off. He was ok. Looks like a heater hose in your case.

Ask them to check over other connections and for an engine bay wash as well.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
RazorSharpe

RazorSharpe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a punch in the gut, right? An engine overtemp could potentially cripple it. Thanks y'all, the opinions help. MobileBeats yeah this stops the fun train dead in its tracks. Yukon Joe and CoronaRaptor, seems like the good ol' car maintenance your dad teaches you never goes bad!

So I called my Indiana salesman first, because he said call if I had a problem. He was embarrassed as hell and told me to call the generic Ford service phone number. After a short wait they confirmed my truck and forwarded me to roadside assistance. I set up a pickup time after work today for a flatbed and an appointment at the local Ford dealer. The service guy there said he was pretty confident the engine was fine because I didn't run it for long and didn't engage "limp mode." Evidently you get more than just horsepower and suspension with this truck's price tag, as it has multiple levels of self-protection from overtemp damage. My grocery list is worm screw hose clamps all around, compression test, coolant flush, an engine bay cleaning, and maybe an oil change. I'll post with their follow-through.

OP
OP
RazorSharpe

RazorSharpe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The flatbed tow arrived on time and I followed it to the local dealer, AV Ford. They gave it a look and said it should be done tomorrow. They promised me an engine bay cleaning and full responsibility. Two techs came out to admire it, and one was shocked at that hose. So far this is going well but we'll see what action is actually taken.

Last edited: