Drove 50 kms on a highway with the diff locked. Any problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martinmatej

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I apologise for my poor English and a lame question. I am a complete newbie and a silly one at that. I just bought a Raptor today. While the dealer was showing me the car, he engaged the diff lock by pulling the 2/4Hi/4Lo knob. We both have forgotten to unlock the differential and I drove home - some 50 kms in a city and on highways. I only realised when parking at home. I am now worried - did I cause some damage or not? I did not encounter any problem and I did not hear any nasty sounds. I know I must be the biggest idiot ever to buy this magnificent car. Your opinion is much appreciated, ladies and gentlemen.

OP
OP
M

martinmatej

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you, gentlemen, you made my day. This is an amazing forum. Greetings from Qatar.

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, just what Ironman said. Unless the offroad mode button was pushed / engaged then your locking differential would unlock over 20 mph.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with all the above. Also, you could also really tell if the rear is locked on pavement or hard dirt/surface if the truck feels like it wants to hop around a tight corner. This would be the rear binding mechanically...not a good thing. The disengagement of the rear locker at 20mph is a great feature (when you are have OffRoad mode OFF as stated above). I've had the same thing happen on when entering a local dune area on a firm packed dirt surface. I've even heard one of the rear tires chirp or skid trying to catch up with the other tire. Also will happen when in 4LO in tight turns on a hard surface. Best to remember to leave Locker OFF and 4LO OFF unless you are on a surface that will allow the driving surface to give under the tires instead of asking the truck to compensate mechanically.

P.S. Your English is great, but one more thing.....

Attachments

• Why-You-No-Guy Raptor.jpg
    Why-You-No-Guy Raptor.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited: