Radio/NAV Noob...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I finally got around to ordering my Radio/NAV units for TRR. I know Nav isnt required but its recommended. Ill get in touch with Trey about a TRR map.

So I got the sweet LGE-CTS motorsports fold down mount and the Lowrance Elite 5M baja gps system with antenna to go with it. Just need a few pointers of uploading maps and how to use it efficiently.

Also I bought sonomas old Icom F-5021 radio. I have a mag mount for the antenna on the way. I think she has the presets programmed in. Just would like a few pointers and mounting/wiring locations. Thanks guys and look foward to getting some answers.

Stuff:
https://lge-ctsmotorsports.com/catalog/interior/navigation-head-unit-brackets-for-raptors-detail

IC-F5021 Series VHF and UHF Transceivers - Features - Icom America

Elite-5m Baja - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's how I did my CB. I used a 1x1 piece of aluminum from home depot and cut it to be the same length of the u bracket that came with the radio. Then I used 4 2inss bolts and lock nuts to go through the u the aluminum and through the plastic tray. Then I put a thin wide piece of aluminum under the plastic to support it all. In the back I drilled a 3/4 in hole using a drill bit, use a whole saw or a full drill bit not any of the wood ones with the flat head. I ran the wires down the pass side under the air bag and did a fuse tap to wire it. And I grounded it there too. Works really nice and I made it so if I want to take it off I can just put the mat back on and it covers up everything. Oh and my factory speaker still works there be as use I went above it and didn't buy a new tray to put it in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395750658577.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395750658577.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395750677833.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395750677833.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 69
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395750692699.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395750692699.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 68
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395750705396.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395750705396.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

Reaction score
Here's how I did my CB. I used a 1x1 piece of aluminum from home depot and cut it to be the same length of the u bracket that came with the radio. Then I used 4 2inss bolts and lock nuts to go through the u the aluminum and through the plastic tray. Then I put a thin wide piece of aluminum under the plastic to support it all. In the back I drilled a 3/4 in hole using a drill bit, use a whole saw or a full drill bit not any of the wood ones with the flat head. I ran the wires down the pass side under the air bag and did a fuse tap to wire it. And I grounded it there too. Works really nice and I made it so if I want to take it off I can just put the mat back on and it covers up everything. Oh and my factory speaker still works there be as use I went above it and didn't buy a new tray to put it in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Looks great! But the mount for my GPS will have to go there unfortunately... If anyone had any other radio mounting location ideas, thatd be great!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally got around to ordering my Radio/NAV units for TRR. I know Nav isnt required but its recommended. Ill get in touch with Trey about a TRR map.

So I got the sweet LGE-CTS motorsports fold down mount and the Lowrance Elite 5M baja gps system with antenna to go with it. Just need a few pointers of uploading maps and how to use it efficiently.

Also I bought sonomas old Icom F-5021 radio. I have a mag mount for the antenna on the way. I think she has the presets programmed in. Just would like a few pointers and mounting/wiring locations. Thanks guys and look foward to getting some answers.

Stuff:
https://lge-ctsmotorsports.com/catalog/interior/navigation-head-unit-brackets-for-raptors-detail

IC-F5021 Series VHF and UHF Transceivers - Features - Icom America

Elite-5m Baja - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

Why did you go with the Baja? Isn't it discontinued?

Also, there is an entire thread on Radio mounting and etc...

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my3e2ady.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

ypa6uryb.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

egaguvy5.jpg

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

Reaction score
my3e2ady.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

ypa6uryb.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

egaguvy5.jpg

Great mounting location!! What about coax/antenna

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drilled a hole JUST large enough to fit the power connector through, and then ran the power wire underneath the flooring to the fire wall. You'll find an opening up under the dash and on the firewall. Remove the rubber plug and route your power wire to the battery itself. Use zip ties as required.

asyve7e4.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

The antenna coax is nothing sexy. I have weathertech rear mats, so ran the antenna wire underneath the floor mat, underneath the seat and then I stash the magnetic antenna mount behind the seat until I'm ready to hit the desert. Then i just crack my slider and run the magnetic mount and up onto the top of my cab. Done deal. It's def not rocket science. I unplug the mike from the radio and stash the antenna behind the seat when not in the desert.

8e8ahyma.jpg

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am working on a mount for my gps unit, however it will not be ready for trr. i was hoping to test it out while i was there, but fabrication has taken longer than i had hoped. as for the radio, i am disconnecting the face, extending the ribbon cable and putting the face in my sunglass holder. i dont use that spot for anything so i figure its a perfect location. after the wiring mod. that will not be fun