Transmission Failed on highway today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you have clunking sound at take off in 1st gear for a while?? there is a tsb for this for some trucks- issue with the valvebody or something like that. Truck is trying to shift into 5th while in 1st- clunks like crazy. Mine has it- built in 12/2012. Might be worth checking

Cummins_Bred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not against tuners, but they adjust your transmission shift points and pressures and can definitely cause premature wear. Under normal driving the difference between a stock truck and a tuned truck is negligible, but those hard WOT tuner shifts are not a good thing for the life of the transmission...

Actually, depending on what is making the shift feel "hard", a quick firm shift is better for the trans because it doesn't slip clutches so much. Unless the clutches are unable to grip even with the higher line pressure's and quicker shifts (too much power for stock clutch material). Same with higher line pressure. True, parts can fail if it's too hard or too sudden. But typically faster firmer shifts extend the life of clutches and fluid changes because nothing is slipping causing the heat that kills them

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Brian's Truck Shop and John Wood both had a great reputation for making built HD 4R100s for the older Powerstrokes. They used to have the most commonly failed parts custom machined and threw away the ones in the rebuild kit. John Wood would price his "entry level" version at the same price as the Ford HD model even though it was much better. Might be worth checking with them to see if they do a 6R80 now. They also might be able to recommend a shop that does build the 6R80 and I don't think they would steer you wrong.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, depending on what is making the shift feel "hard", a quick firm shift is better for the trans because it doesn't slip clutches so much. Unless the clutches are unable to grip even with the higher line pressure's and quicker shifts (too much power for stock clutch material). Same with higher line pressure. True, parts can fail if it's too hard or too sudden. But typically faster firmer shifts extend the life of clutches and fluid changes because nothing is slipping causing the heat that kills them

I don't dispute that at all for general to even semi-aggressive driving, but I've owned and been in several vehicles with tuners and the WOT 1-2 shift can be quite harsh. Definitely enough shock load to the drivetrain that it'll surely cause something to fail sooner than later.

OP
OP
M

mongiema

Reaction score
So i talked to the dealership yesterday... The service manager said Ford corporate contacted them and said to rebuild the transmission and they are willing to go 50/50 on the cost. When I asked what exactly they would be replacing he told me that the input shaft broke also damaging the clutches, plates ect.. So I need an new input shaft and other parts..

He then mentioned that the "high torque" gained from the "chips" is probably what broke the shaft..
To this I asked what about all the roush raptors making 500+, are those trans's stock.. considering mine is making maybe 330 hp at the wheels
..He said that "MOTOR SPORT" makes an input shaft that they put in them which is much stronger… and that shaft is about $1500… after doing some basic research online i was not able to find anything on it but he said motorsport is a division of ford…Im curious if anyone has more information on this input shaft…. (if i was to build the trans which is now something i definitely plan to do, I would not want ford to do it/ use their parts)

He also kept asking me if the car was stuck in snow and was revving up high that probably did it..(I believe this is because the under body was probably packed with snow and filled their shop with it... I live in jersey…we've had a lot of snow these past few weeks and I've been enjoying my raptor in it :D…i may have gotten her stuck 1.. 2…or 10 times :p but i never sit there redlining my truck when its stuck lmao…..)

Anyways, with Ford going 50/50 with me on the parts and labor he said the repair (replacing with stock parts) will be $1500 plus tax.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Trans temp normal when this happened?

Yes from what i remember, its usually at around 198-208 degrees after its warmed up and being driven hard.. I don't remember exactly where it was at though. I had never seen my trans temp over about 209 degrees, that much i know from observation

Last edited:

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sounds a little better then $6500, but im pretty sure there full of poo with the whole different input shaft and ur "chip" being to blame. I could be wrong but I have never heard of that, performance shops do built up them up I know Livernois has had to on a few of there builds.

OP
OP
M

mongiema

Reaction score
I don't dispute that at all for general to even semi-aggressive driving, but I've owned and been in several vehicles with tuners and the WOT 1-2 shift can be quite harsh. Definitely enough shock load to the drivetrain that it'll surely cause something to fail sooner than later.

One thing that is for sure is that I have driven the shit out of this truck. I have personally put 99.99% of the 61k miles on it.. the majority of which were literally "drive it like i stole it" … pretty much every time its gotten onto the highway its been a 0-60 of higher…. in my opinion.. i got my dream truck and I've ALWAYS enjoyed it and tried to get everything i can out of it!!!

Other info on the life of my raptor:

..for the record I've never tried neutral drops, brake stands, or any extreme towing that might cause damage.

The car has been "tuned" for over 20 thousand miles with the 5 star 93 performance tune and I have on multiple different occasions gotten the truck well above the speed limiter of 100mph

This truck has been jumped on numerous occasions off road and on road..as well as many other things throughout this 2011 6.2 Sucrew's life lol

Chavante

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man sorry to hear... I have a 2011 79k.... no clunk or anything shifts smooth like butter and offroad shifts great too..... but what is the driveshaft recall and is it necessary????

Thanks

OP
OP
M

mongiema

Reaction score
Well that sounds a little better then $6500, but im pretty sure there full of poo with the whole different input shaft and ur "chip" being to blame. I could be wrong but I have never heard of that, performance shops do built up them up I know Livernois has had to on a few of there builds.

Im getting the same feeling as well. for now I'm okay with paying the 1500 to have my truck back next week (they said by monday or tues) but I have already contacted a local, reputable transmission shop and discussed possible options for building my transmission and now plan to in the future… definitely plan to get more power out of this truck if i am keeping it…. thinking of maybe doing the Livernois Cam actually (still undecided) but i definitely don't want a repeat of this….

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Hey man sorry to hear... I have a 2011 79k.... no clunk or anything shifts smooth like butter and offroad shifts great too..... but what is the driveshaft recall and is it necessary????

Thanks

Thanks man, and I first heard about the recall over a year ago on one of the forums. Someone actually posted Fords PDF. filled for the recall (i believe it was concerning 2010-2011's made up until a certain date)

Basically i just printed out the file and bought it to my dealership. The service manager did some quick research and said that Ford issued a recall on the driveshafts (my truck was included in the years).. he then ordered the part and warranted the parts and labor. If i remember correctly i brought it in for service when the part came in and they installed the driveshaft then.
-Before the repair the driveshaft would "clunk" loudly when shifting into gear from park, and also upon acceleration in certain situations.
-AFTER the new driveshaft was installed theses problems no longer occurred

As for fords file about the recall, I'm not sure where it is online but i will try to located it again.