Hard Tonneau Cover Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Outrage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been debating what sort of tonneau cover to purchase for my Raptor.

Originally, I was leaning toward an A.R.E. LSX or LSX Ultra cover, but I had a few reservations. I've seen A.R.E. covers on other trucks on the road and it always seems like their latches are crooked which looks cheesy. Additionally, the A.R.E. LSX tonneau cover is, IMO, a bit ugly on the 2009 and up F-150s. I'd be willing to overlook that if the cover was of a higher quality than other options.

The Patriot Victory tonneau cover has a slightly better appearance than the A.R.E. LSX but information available online concerning this cover is sparse.

The UnderCover SE Smooth is more attractive than the above fiberglass covers. I don't know how the UnderCover SE' ABS plastic will hold up over time versus the fiberglass.

My universal concern is that I would like to be able to open the tonneau cover inside my garage without bashing it into the garage door opener tracks. This track sits higher than the garage door's opening (7 feet) but I don't know its precise height off the top of my head. Does anyone have experience with these options or others like them?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I have the LSX A.R.E. Tonneau Cover.
It's a very nice cover but not good for going anywhere off-road.
I personally love the look of it but I'll be putting it up for sale this spring because I need something better for doing all these off road events I've been doing.

Attachments

• BACK OF RAPTOR.jpg
    BACK OF RAPTOR.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 75
  • RAPTOR COVER SOLAR CELL.jpg
    RAPTOR COVER SOLAR CELL.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 66
  • RIGHT REAR (sm).jpg
    RIGHT REAR (sm).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 70
  • RAPTOR COVER 2 (sm).jpg
    RAPTOR COVER 2 (sm).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 72

goinsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at hard tonneau covers for my truck as well. I'm not a big fan of the painted fiberglass covers so I'm looking more at the folding hard covers (Bakflip HD, Diamondback) or even the rolling hard covers (Bak Rollback, Bak RollX). These would definitely solve your problem with hitting the garage door tracks. I hear they are also better for off-roading.

OP
OP
T

The Outrage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the LSX A.R.E. Tonneau Cover.
It's a very nice cover but not good for going anywhere off-road.
I personally love the look of it but I'll be putting it up for sale this spring because I need something better for doing all these off road events I've been doing.

What issues are you encountering when using the A.R.E. LSX? Does it become misaligned?

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I've been looking at hard tonneau covers for my truck as well. I'm not a big fan of the painted fiberglass covers so I'm looking more at the folding hard covers (Bakflip HD, Diamondback) or even the rolling hard covers (Bak Rollback, Bak RollX). These would definitely solve your problem with hitting the garage door tracks. I hear they are also better for off-roading.

I've considered those options as well. From my online research, it seems that the folding panel tonneau covers have hinges which rust, panels which fade over time, and have poor weather sealing. The thought of resting a set of panels on my truck's cab gives me the heebie-jeebies. The roll top tonneau covers were actually one of my first choices due to their flexibility. I've read of similar issues with poor weather sealing and overly complex drainage systems with these covers as well.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the one you can buy from the dealer. Its a nice cover but I have to check the bolts on the clips before I go off road(already had IG move and take paint off both sides of my bed). And my door is 7 foot on my garage and I can open the cover high enough to get everything out but it won't go all the way up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score

What issues are you encountering when using the A.R.E. LSX? Does it become misaligned?

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I've considered those options as well. From my online research, it seems that the folding panel tonneau covers have hinges which rust, panels which fade over time, and have poor weather sealing. The thought of resting a set of panels on my truck's cab gives me the heebie-jeebies. The roll top tonneau covers were actually one of my first choices due to their flexibility. I've read of similar issues with poor weather sealing and overly complex drainage systems with these covers as well.

We have an Extang Solid Fold... even jumped with it on... Love it and no problems... pretty impressed that you can stand on the thing.

299313_684826345998_1880098487_n.jpg

622358_673137645248_253365323_o.jpg

Only issue we ran into was putting on a light bar rack. Joe and WSI custom designed one.

Attachments

• P6061617.jpg
    P6061617.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 71
  • P6061619.jpg
    P6061619.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 71

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My powertrax pro is perfect. Seals great looks great and it opens and closes with 6" of snow sitting on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk