Fuel Blockage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor would not turn over last night, Must of tried 12 times, extended cranking, no fuel. NOT DTCs or extended DTCs. I was on perfectly flat under ground parking, 3/4 of tank of gas.

Got a great tip to tap the gas tank with a hammer while cranking. Worked like a charm. So is the problem a stuck float? Dirt in the intake? IDK I also don't know if I need to do anything or if it is was a one time thing. Knowing how to fix makes me feel a lot better about it, but this was the first time my Raptor ever stranded me. Took 2.5 hours to get sorted out.

I am in the dirt all the time, and I clean out the inside of the filler neck every time I wash the beast. Frankly the easy fill is probably not a good idea for those of us who off road all the time in the dry dirt.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they do make a locking cover for the filler neck so no one can siphon your fuel and im sure itll help keep dirt out

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is not good. You clould use the remote start and hammer trick if you are alone. I bought the locking gas cap to keep the salty slush (winter) dust & mud (summer) not really for the security aspect. Works very well.

Fuel contamination maybe?

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I hope it doesn't continue, I will likely look into the locking gas cap. The truck has started up just fine last three uses.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that in Chevy's when your fuel pump is going the old trick is to tap it a few times to get it going and get yourself home. Don't know how you could prove to Ford that is what is though.

Ingot SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a failing fuel pump. The pump portion of the fuel sending unit has a mesh screen that prefilters the fuel going into the pump, would have to be a very very small object in order to get past the screen to then get lodged in the pumps internals. No codes with a no start plus banging on the fuel tank then starts up. points to an intermittent pump failure. I have the locking gas cap just for the fact that it can help eliminate debris from getting into the capless tank system and a small peice of mind that only I open the tank and fill it with gas.

Last edited: